SMIT (Studies on Media, Innovation and Technology) is a research center of the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. SMIT is also a core research group of imec, Europe’s leading research institute on nano-technology and digital innovation.
For more than 25 years, imec-SMIT specializes in economic, user/living lab and policy research on ICT innovations in Media, Smart Cities, and Digital Health & Work. Our team consists of around 65 senior and junior researchers with a wide variety in backgrounds and nationalities.
What you will do
The imec-SMIT Smart Cities cluster is involved in researching and developing methodologies and concepts related to innovative ICT services and platforms from a user, business and policy perspective.
In the context of our projects on smart cities, smart mobility, open data and related topics we are looking for a full-time researcher. This researcher will undertake applied research in the domain of sustainable systems in the city from a participatory point of view.
Research tasks will include
- Conduct applied research in (international) project consortia on smart city innovations in sustainability (monitoring air quality through sensors, early warning systems for flooding, smart heating/ energy systems)
- Conduct consulting assignments on smart cities
- Help organise and attend workshops and conferences
- Assist in the elaboration of new project proposals
- Write project reports and deliverables, present research results in workshops and conferences, write academic publications.
- Working on a PhD-trajectory is not required but definitely a possibility.
What we do for you
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment with enterprising young scientists and experienced senior researchers in an international setting.
- Flexible working conditions with opportunity for personal initiative.
- High-quality innovation research on future oriented services
- Attractive remuneration package
- A full time, renewable contract for 1 year and long term career perspectives.
Who you are
- Master degree in urban studies, (environmental) sociology, psychology, communication sciences or similar
- Interest or experience in working on citizen science projects, or in social aspects of urban infrastructures, or with Living Lab research
- Good knowledge of ICT, new media and innovative technologies
- 1 to 2 years of experience related to smart cities and/or relevant research is a strong asset
- Able to work independently, good self-management and planning skills
- Flexible attitude when working in a dynamic environment with a variety of professional interlocutors
- Aptitude to work well in an interdisciplinary team
- Prepared to undertake fieldwork abroad
- Strong in analytical and strategic thinking
- Have a good, broad range of qualitative data creation and analysis skills
- Excellent academic writing skills
- Good knowledge of English, Dutch and one other language is a strong asset
- Desirable additional skills include: quantitative analysis (SPSS) or behaviour change analysis
Please send your CV and motivation letter as soon as possible and before 12/02/2018 to Wim Cloots on email@example.com