Research & development - Leuven | Just now
Over the past several years, imec has developed state-of-the-art silicon photonics (SiPho) technology for realizing next-generation optical interconnects as well as novel optical sensing applications. However, in order for SiPho to break into high-volume, low-cost applications, a cost-effective process for co-packaging photonics together with electronics and fiber arrays needs to be developed.
As a Co-Packaged Optics Design Engineer, you will be the technical lead in the technology pathfinding for next-generation SiPho optical packaging, and you will work together with imec’s integration and design engineers (in both the photonics and 3D domains) to demonstrate such desired low-cost packaging solutions. In order to achieve this goal, you will design innovative chip-to-chip and chip-to-fiber optical coupling structures (including evanescent couplers, beam shaping and mechanical support structures), which will be fabricated using wafer-scale processes in imec’s clean room. In addition, you will contribute to the selection, evaluation and development of integration flows and materials to enable co-packaging of photonic and electronic components at wafer scale. You will carry out this work in collaboration with material suppliers, vendors of optical fiber connectors, advanced semiconductor packaging/assembly tool vendors, as well as OSATs.
In this challenging job you will focus on:
• Conceive novel concepts for low-cost wafer-scale SiPho packaging through optical/mechanical design and modeling of optical coupling interfaces.
• Design process/layout experiments to drive technology development
• Contribute to the development of a high-throughput monolithic/hybrid wafer-scale process flow to realize the designed interfaces in imec’s SiPho platform
• Test, evaluate and qualify the developed packaging solutions (optical/mechanical/reliability)
• Drive project execution by interacting with integration, test & reliability engineers within imec, as well as with external vendors
• Document and report to internal and external stakeholders including imec’s partners and customers
• Report to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.