Application Prototyping Engineer
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference!
Imec’s application prototyping team (APT, around 15 people) develops system prototypes to investigate new IT paradigms and the role of IT in society. For example, APT plays an important role in finding out how cities can be improved or made more “smart” through internet-of-things (IoT) technology. The team is active in many different domains, focusing more on technological paradigms than on application domains (e.g. health, cities, manufacturing,…). In addition, APT creates tools to improve the prototyping activity of imec.
You will join a highly skilled well-balanced team of junior and senior designers and developers, operating from our offices in Ghent and Antwerp. You can choose from which of these two cities you prefer to work, as most of the team communication takes place online. In this role, you will get the opportunity to continuously experiment with new technologies and to work in cross-functional teams and projects in an international environment.
As an application prototyping engineer at imec you will be responsible for the development of interfaces in a variety of projects in different domains.
- To succeed in this role, you ideally already have practical experience front-end development of ca. 5 years in the field.
- You are comfortable with a number of the following technologies:
- Mobile: React Native, iOS app development, Java for Android,…
- Tools: Git, Docker, Jenkins,…
- You are used to quickly learn new technological paradigms (languages, libraries, patterns,…) and are able to efficiently translate system requirements to concrete system functionality.
- You care about making high-quality user experiences.
- You're a strong team player. You're transparent about progress on tasks, you seek feedback and are an effective collaborator to your colleagues.
- You love to take on challenges and are highly result-driven.
Nice to haves:
- Project management in Scrum
- Micro service architectures
- Machine learning
- Backend development
- Linux sysadmin
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.