Application Prototyping Engineer (Electronics)
The Application Prototyping Team
Imec’s (formerly iMinds') application prototyping team (APT, around 30 people) develops system prototypes to investigate new IT paradigms and the role of IT in society. For example, APT plays an important role in finding out how cities can be improved or made more “smart” through internet-of-things (IoT) technology. The team is active in many different domains, focusing more on technological paradigms than on application domains (e.g. health, cities, manufacturing,…). In addition, APT creates tools to improve the prototyping activity of imec.
What you will do
As an application prototyping engineer at imec you will be responsible for the electronic prototype development in a variety of projects in different domains.
You will join a highly skilled well-balanced team of junior and senior designers and developers, operating from our offices in the center of Ghent and Antwerp. You can choose from which of these two cities you prefer to work, as most of the team communication takes place online. In this role, you will get the opportunity to continuously experiment with new technologies and to work in cross-functional teams and projects in an international environment.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Hands on approach: must be able to tackle problems in a concise way
- Analog design: have a strong basis in analog design
- Experience in the creation of PCBs (prototypes, not for products)
- Digital design: have a decent basis in VHDL/Verilog
- Willing to go the full trajectory: from design to fabrication, testing and building of prototypes
Be able to determine the right tools for the right job (ranging from Arduino to FPGA, embedded C to high-level languages such as python, java or nodeJS)
- You are used to quickly learn new technological paradigms (languages, libraries, patterns, …) and are able to efficiently translate system requirements to concrete system functionality
- You care about making high-quality user experiences
- You're a strong team player. You're transparent about progress on tasks, you seek feedback and are an effective collaborator to your colleagues
- You love to take on challenges and are highly result driven
- Experience with Xilinx tools
- Experience with embedded C
- Experience with SCRUM
- Experience with linux kernels
- You may not always be working on electronics prototypes, additional interest in other (software) technologies is a surplus
- Ability to quickly nail down specs in conversation with clients