Beamformer Laser Device Researcher
What you will do
Within IMEC Semiconductors Technology & Systems, our group focuses on process integration of novel sensors and actuators. Specifically, we recently launched an activity on based on advanced photonics devices in the Near Infra-Red and Visible domains. Such platforms should allow to produce solid state beam forming chips for lidar, holography, wireless-less telecommunications... To carry-out our roadmap, we are looking for a laser expert which will have as a duty to integrate lasers at various wavelengths directly on a photonics chip. This is realised either through hybrid integration or ultimately by direct III-V growth on Silicium, within Imec’s premises.
Novel Laser development and co-integration with photonics is the main task. Your duty requires to be familiar with laser devices and their characterisations, especially in the visible and near infrared ranges. The knowledge of semiconductor typical fabrication techniques such as deposition, lithography etc.. is required. The roadmap requires the capability to build complex integration flows starting from basic process steps, up to device demonstration on a 200 or 300mm prototyping line.
As a new member of our team you will:
- Identify material systems for laser integration in line with the roadmap
- Execute process experiments to develop new process steps, modules, follow up lots to achieve functional prototypes
- Analyse in line and end of line metrology and characterization data to select optimal process steps and conditions
- Make the link between process conditions and optical performance of the fabricated chips
- Work according to agreed timelines and report on progress internally and to customers
- Work efficiently in a multidiscipline environment with engineers and scientists focusing on design, systems and applications aspects.
- Publish your work in conferences and journals
The team is looking forward to meet you as a new member to help drive the development of new components with good quality and performance. This is a challenging and exciting engineering job in a young and dynamic R&D environment. You want to be part of a pioneering project and bring new technologies to the market? We look forward to receive your resume.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits. If needed, we also provide international relocation support for you and your family.
Who you are
To carry-out our roadmap, we are looking for process integration engineers and a project leader to coordinate all the fabrication activities.
- You have a Master’s with relevant experience or a PhD degree in Opto-electronics and/or Semiconductor technologies. A strong knowledge of photonics, III-V compounds, chip bonding technologies is an asset.
- We are looking for your knowledge of lasers physics, their classical fabrication methods (usually by epitaxy) and their characterizations
- We appreciate your creative and “out of the box” thinking.
- We value your experience in semiconductor process technology, in a R&D environment, with good knowledge in the deposition, etch, CMP and lithography areas.
- We need your hands- on approach with excellent engineering skills and a personal drive to achieve project goals.
- We are looking for your initiative and independent work attitude, while being part of a team.
- Since you will be working in a highly international environment and will be maintaining a good contact with colleagues and co-workers from all over the world, fluency in English is essential.