Business Director ExaScience Life Lab
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Business Director ExaScience Life Lab.
The ExaScience Life Lab is an expertise centre for High Performance & Big Data Computation in Life Sciences. The lab collaborates with researchers and life science companies, both locally and worldwide. It aims at breakthroughs in the life sciences sector by advancing High Performance & Big Data Computing technology. The lab is physically hosted at Imec and hosts scientists from different complementary fields of research: big data analysis, modelling and simulation of complex systems, computational mathematics, bio-statistics, massive parallel and big data programming models. Research in the ExaScience Life Lab is driven by representative software prototypes in which the research results from the different fields are combined and validated. You will hold strategic responsibility for the successful operations of the research projects and the business development of the Exascience Life Lab. You will define external and internal targets for the Exascience Life Lab. You will be supported by a team of specialists with whom you will collaborate to achieve these targets. You will guarantee the further expansion of the Lab. You will closely interact with senior research & business managers. You will report to the Vice President Data Sciences.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Your team members are responsible for running projects from A to Z; from setting up a research project to delivering an impactful report and presentation to the client. You will keep the business objectives in mind in every step of the process
- Be in close contact with national and international customers within the life sciences industry to understand their strategic goals. With your team, you translate them into concrete research objectives
- Ensure that research and technology plans are effectively aligned with both the Strategic Plan and departmental business plans
- Prioritize projects and proposals: meet and work with staff to elicit projects and programs; manage meetings to vet projects and programs and set priorities for funding
- Supervise the development and writing of proposals
- Develop business plans for the lab
- Ensure Intellectual Property Rights in projects are in line with the needs and mission of the lab
- Manage the valorization, legal and business aspects of proposals, in close collaboration with the scientific and technical content responsible
We are eager to know your vision on and relevant experience in life sciences software and realizations. Ideally, you combine a technical background with business development and you have strong analytical skills which will allow you to be successful in an international high-tech environment. You have a passion for research and development in software. Furthermore, your expertise and management skills are essential to successfully take up this strategic role. You communicate effectively in English, but preferably also in Dutch, with your stakeholders and network. You can translate your vision into tangible results. You are a team player. You are entrepreneurial with the ability to develop a strategic vision. You have an analytical mind and the ability to convince customers. You are proactive and result oriented. You have a systematic and organizational orientation.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.