CEO for an imec Advanced Optical Sensors start-up
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference!
At imec we have developed an exciting new technology to create advanced optical sensors of an unparalleled small size and low cost, making them ready for mass volume deployment in medical, healthcare, agriculture, food, industrial process and other sectors. To further commercialize the technology and to bring it to market, imec has decided to create a new spin-off company.
For this venture-backed start-up, we are looking for an entrepreneurial CEO with a background in silicon or imaging technologies.
You will be leading this imec spin-off by driving the strategy and the business and product roadmap.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Define and execute company strategy to be able to create both volume and value driven sensor business in one or more application sectors.
- This will include developing the product roadmap, go-to-market strategy, business model, IP strategy, etc. and ensuring alignment with short-term and long-term objectives.
- This will also include leveraging / developing network across industries, geographies and research communities to identify business opportunities and to develop the required strategic partnerships
- Identify and hire key resources to build a high performing and ambitious team and ensuring full engagement of the team for company success.
- Develop an exciting yet realistic business plan, raise the necessary funds and manage the P&L of the company
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission.
- Build trust relations with customers, key partners and stakeholders and act as a point of contact for important shareholders
- Analyze challenging situations and occurrences and provide solutions to ensure company survival and growth.
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the markets and industry of the company.
- You are an enthusiastic entrepreneurial CEO, with proven experience building new high tech startups from scratch.
- You have experience in or understanding of silicon and/or imaging technologies.
- Your experience in sensor technologies and know-how of value chain, business models and their applications in different industrial, medical and consumer sectors will be a strong plus.
- You have had international exposure and experience in working with customers and partners in different geographies.
- You have experience with fund raising (institutional as well as grants). Your exposure to venture capital investors in North America, Asia and Europe is a strong plus.
- You possess outstanding organizational and leadership skills.
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You are an excellent communicator and have strong public speaking skills.
- You are familiar with diverse business functions such as sales, marketing, finance, IP etc. Hands-on experience with these functions will be a plus.
- You have in-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practices.
- You are willing to travel when needed.
You will have the opportunity to shape an innovative high tech spin off. You can build a groundbreaking team to make this spin-off a success. With your entrepreneurial, technical and managerial talents, you will have a huge impact on the achievements of this start-up.