COO for a Venture-Backed Smart Contact Lens Startup
What you will do
Azalea, a start-up founded by imec and CMST (the Center for Microsystems Technology, a joint lab of imec and Ghent University and the Ghent University Hospital) is developing an exciting smart lens technology to create as a first product, an active artificial iris for patients suffering from iris disorders such as Aniridia, Coloboma and Albinism as well as for people suffering from photophobia.
To further develop and to commercialize this technology, imec & UGent are planning to create a new spin-off company.
For this venture-backed start-up, we are looking for an entrepreneurial COO.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Daily hands-on management of the operations.
- Freeze and transfer the technology process to industrial partners for production, meeting quality and volume requirements. Negotiate the contracts and maintain the relationships.
- Define and maintain the operations to implement the company strategy, steering the successful development of a novel smart lens.
- Building, organizing and executing the product development roadmap.
- Being the contact person for external partners, such as customers, strategic suppliers, IP related matters, …
- Responsible for quality assurance and quality management.
- Identify and hire key resources to build a high performing and ambitious operations team, with CTO and CMO already present, and ensuring full engagement of the team for successful execution of the operations.
- Together with CMO and CTO, participate in the process of product specification for the smart lens and accessories (medical devices), making sure this spec is validated with the customers and stakeholders.
- Together with CTO, define the design and production process in such a way that each step’s quality is verifiable, and each step can be transferred to production partners.
- Make sure the full supply chain is implemented towards delivery of the end-product.
What we do for you
You will have the opportunity to shape an innovative high tech spin off. You can build a groundbreaking team to make this spin-off a success. With your entrepreneurial, technical and managerial talents, you will have a huge impact on the achievements of this start-up.
Who you are
- You have a deep understanding of integrating multi-domain technologies including a.o. chip, lcd, polymer substrate and thin-film technologies into end-user consumer-like miniature devices, with a relevant MSc degree and 10+ years of relevant experience.
- You have experience in medical devices’ roadmaps (i.e. quality management system - ISO13485).
- You are an enthusiastic entrepreneurial COO, with proven experience (helping to) build new high-tech startups.
- You have startup experience, building small but high performing teams to achieve high value milestones with limited resources.
- You have had international exposure and experience in working with partners (suppliers and outsourcing) in different geographies.
- You possess outstanding organizational, project management and leadership skills, with a great ability to work under pressure,
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You can combine a strong customer oriented approach with product life cost efficiency.
- You are an excellent communicator and motivator.
- Proven negotiation skills.