Data Specialist Smart Mobility for imec City of Things
The Internet of Things will change everyone’s future. Cities and the public sector want to use the power of the Internet of Things and digitization to become more efficient, and to create cities that are nicer, greener, healthier, safer and less congested. Many companies detect that need, and present their offerings to these cities. The City of Things program is working with the public sector, innovative companies, top research and representative citizens to co-create, test and validate new and state-of-the-art smart city solutions. The related Smart Flanders initiative of imec is an innovative and challenging multidisciplinary action that supports all Flemish cities willing to become ‘smarter’ and that want to collaborate with various companies in achieving that goal, without the risk of vendor lock-in and the loss of access to data.City of Things is the reference within Europe for international and local players who want to test and validate IoT services, applications and technologies in a large-scale, lifelike Smart City context. And as a Data Specialist Smart Mobility, you will play a key role in the adoption of the latest technology to make our roads safer, greener and less congested!
What you will do
Data is the fuel to drive innovative solutions in the domain of Smart Mobility. When appropriate data is available, a plethora of novel use cases becomes possible. As a Data Specialist Smart Mobility, you will initially be responsible for the following aspects of this domain:
- Data quality. Merely the availability of data is not sufficient to realize a sound end-user experience and hence an optimal impact of these novel applications. Also in the domain of smart mobility the dogma of “garbage in, garbage out” remains valid. You will be in charge of ensuring that the data produced by imec or its partners for smart mobility applications is of a sufficient high quality. The first step will be to identify appropriate quality indicators for the different data elements that are produced. These are quite diverse, possible requiring different strategies for each of them: current travel speed on a road segment, dynamic maximum speed limits, dynamic lanes open or closed, slippery road warnings, road works information, opened bridge, location of emergency service vehicles, signal phase and timing of traffic lights, etc., etc. The second step will be the definition and prototyping/implementation of methodologies to accurately measure these metrics on live data systems. And the third step will be to define threshold values that need to be reached by data sources to allow a sound end-user experience.
- Impact assessment. The provisioning of smart mobility applications requires investments from both the public and private sector. Especially for the public sector, the corresponding return of investment is not expressed in monetary terms, but in societal benefits regarding traffic safety, congestion and pollution. To motivate continuation of investments in applications by the public side, it is crucial that these benefits can be objectively quantified on live smart mobility systems. You will be responsible for the definition of appropriate metrics and measurement methodologies, and for the implementation of the tooling that can perform these measurement campaigns on live data systems.
- Industrial reach. Any investment by the public side in data provisioning for smart mobility will only reach its full potential when the data is integrated in as much end-user products as possible. Therefore the industrial adoption of smart mobility data produced by imec or its partners should be optimized. You will be responsible for the strategy that determines in which different manners the data should be exposed (C-ITS messages (e.g. CAM, DENM, IVI, MAP, SPAT), InterCor IF2, DATEX II, RDS-TMC, DAB-TPEG, linked open data, etc.)
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology and digital technology in the new offices in Antwerp, in The Beacon. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You are a seasoned data expert in the domain of smart mobility, with 5-10+ years hands-on experience with data sourcing and analytics in this domain.
- You have proven experience with fast prototyping of data analytics algorithms (e.g. in Matlab). You are also able to realise the conversion of prototype to product, either by doing it yourself, or by managing a team of one or more developers responsible for the implementation of the final product.
- You are familiar with data standards for smart mobility such as C-ITS messages (e.g. CAM, DENM, IVI, MAP, SPAT), InterCor IF2, DATEX II, RDS-TMC and DAB-TPEG)., and the organisations that define them (TISA, DATEXII, ETSI, ISO, SAE, …).
- Knowledge of data quality assessment methodologies, especially related in the domain of mobility data (Q-Bench, etc.), is a plus.
- Engineering methodologies and best practices in IT development / project management do ring a bell.
- You are a team player, willing to synchronize your deliverables with different stakeholders (with research and business background). You use the listen-understand-adapt-adopt-improve-consolidate cycle. Being able to value and lift the work of others is crucial.
- You are a communication superstar, able to summarize data characteristics in different types of presentations, adapted to the audience and are confident communicating these in live presentations.
- You have the hands-on mindset to scrub in where needed, but you also have the management skills to determine when other team members should be included to safeguard the timely progress or quality of the project. You are able to lead and inspire such a (temporary) project team in dynamic circumstances.
- Your analytical mind and learning agility allow you to combine the different pieces of the puzzle and to see the bigger picture.
- You are flexible to function in a multi-disciplinary environment with different stakeholders in a heterogeneous ecosystem (not purely technical). A proficient knowledge of Dutch and English is mandatory.
- You are passionate! Passionate about smart mobility, the potential impact of such applications, and the key role that data plays in this field.