IDLab is a research group of UGent, as well as a core research group of imec. IDLab performs fundamental and applied research on data science and internet technology, and counts over 300 members (40 professors, 50 post docs, 200 researchers, 15 support staff members). Our major research areas are machine learning and data mining; semantic intelligence; multimedia processing; distributed intelligence for IoT; cloud and big data infrastructures; wireless and fixed networking; electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and system. This Devops engineering position is open in the cloud and big data infrastructure track.
You will be responsible for development and operations in our City of Things (https://www.imec-int.com/en/cityofthings) team.
- You will aid our team in developing micro-service based software architectures capable of retrieving, processing and storing large amounts of multi-sensor data in a Smart City context. This data needs to be made available to a large variety of Smart City applications through intelligently designed APIs.
- You will integrate container-based elastic service provisioning algorithms to cope with monitored fluctuating service demands.
- You will build up hands-on experience by designing and prototyping front- and backend software components for different Smart City applications on top of our City of Things testbed and will evaluate the performance and reliability of these prototypes.
- You will develop demonstrators showcasing the performance and reliability of our software enablers to external parties.
- You will install, configure and support the infrastructure required to host the different components of our City of Things platform (data ingestion, data stores, data processing nodes, etc.)
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications and skills.
- You have an engineering or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Electronics-ICT or Informatics.
- You are highly proficient in a variety of programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, C/C++) and have a strong interest in programming highly scalable, reactive software systems.
- Knowledge of micro-service based software technologies is a plus (container management frameworks like Kubernetes, micro-service frameworks like Vert.X or Spring Boot, etc.)
- Knowledge infrastructure configuration and configuration automation (e.g. JuJu, Chef, Ansible) is a plus.
- Devops working experience is a plus, along with setting up Continuous Integration pipelines.
- Previous contributions to open-source repositories is considered a plus.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- You can commit to timing and milestones set forward by different research projects.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
We offer a fully funded Devops position in a challenging, stimulating and pleasant research environment, where you can contribute to the worldwide research on software components for Smart Cities. The work is done in close collaboration with national and international industry players. You will join an enthusiastic team of researchers, post-docs and professors.
Applicants should apply with the following:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae including references to software projects the candidate worked on
- Two reference contacts
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview (remote interview possible for international applicants). For more information about the position contact prof. dr. email@example.com.