Electronics Software Specialist
The Application Prototyping Team
Imec’s (formerly iMinds') application prototyping team (APT, around 30 people) develops system prototypes to investigate new IT applications and the role of IT in society. For example, APT plays an important role in finding out how cities can be improved or made more “smart” through internet-of-things (IoT) technology. The team is active in many different domains, focusing more on technological paradigms than on application domains (e.g. health, cities, manufacturing,…). In addition, APT creates tools to improve the prototyping activity of imec.
As an application prototyping engineer at imec you will be responsible for the prototype development in a variety of projects in different domains, ranging from digital as well as analog design projects over to software application development.
You will join a highly skilled well-balanced team of junior and senior engineers & developers, operating from our offices in the center of Ghent and Antwerp. You can choose from which of these two cities you prefer to work, as most of the team communication takes place online, yet the hardware prototyping lab is situated in Ghent. In this role, you will get the opportunity to continuously experiment with new technologies and to work in an international environment.
What you will do
You will join a team which is mainly focused on software innovation for internal and external clients. As this team is part of imec, the bridge between the software and hardware world is the place where you’ll be. Ideally, you’ll be participating in electronics prototyping as well as software development. You are willing to go the full trajectory: from design to fabrication, testing and building of hardware prototypes, and developing accompanying software applications.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Interest in prototyping of innovative technologies & products involving both hard- & software
- Hands on approach: must be able to tackle problems in a concise way
- Analog design: have a strong basis in analog design
- Experience in PCB design & assembly (prototypes, not for products)
- Digital design: have a decent basis in VHDL/Verilog
- You are used to quickly learn new technological paradigms (languages, libraries, patterns, …) and are able to efficiently translate system requirements to concrete system functionality.
- You care about making high-quality user experiences
- You are a strong team player
- You are transparent about progress on tasks, you seek feedback and are an effective collaborator to your colleagues
- You love to take on challenges and are highly result-driven
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Xilinx tools
- Experience with embedded C
- Experience with SCRUM/Agile process
- Experience with linux kernels
- Ability to quickly nail down specs in conversation with clients
- Project management skills