Entrepreneurial Head of Business Development (with CEO potential) for imec NanoSound Start-up
What you will do
As Imec is the trusted R&D partner of companies, start-ups and academia, research and innovation are in our DNA.
Imec combines longstanding leadership in microchip technology with in-depth expertise in software and ICT to lay the foundation of a more personalized healthcare, smarter cities, cleaner energy and more efficient mobility, logistics and manufacturing solutions.
A unique new sensing technology has been developed at imec, enabling new medical applications in ultrasound and photo-acoustic imaging.
To further develop this technology, get it into products and successfully deploy it, we will incubate it towards a new spin-off, NanoSound. Nanosound will market the innovative ultrasound probes to medical system vendors.
To lead this effort, we are looking for an entrepreneurial business developer with CEO potential, with a background in medical imaging technologies, preferably with a network in the ultrasound industry.
You will be leading the incubation towards an imec spin-off, working with internal stakeholders and discussing with industry players and clinical opinion leaders. You will initiate OEM sales of the probes. You lead the efforts towards incorporation in 2020. You are eager to play a key role in the company, potentially as CEO.
Your key responsibilities during incubation include:
- Validate current technology and market needs assumptions, via discussions with both industry players and medical users.
- After confirmation of the value proposition, further define the product development roadmap, define the business model and the go-to-market strategy, and ensure alignment of short-term and long-term objectives.
- Leverage your network in the medical industry to identify business opportunities and to develop strategic partnerships.
- Identify key resources to build a high performing and ambitious team and ensuring full engagement of the team for company success.
- Develop an exciting yet realistic strategy and business plan, raise the necessary funds and manage the P&L of the company.
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they lead the company from incubation to incorporation.
- Analyze challenging situations and provide solutions to ensure company incorporation and growth.
- Build and maintain a deep knowledge of the markets and industry of the company.
What we do for you
You will have the opportunity to shape an innovative high tech spin off which has the ambition to help improve the lives of patients through quicker and better diagnosis. With your sales, entrepreneurial, technical and managerial talents, you will have a huge impact on the achievements of this start-up. If everything turns out well, you have the opportunity to become the CEO of this start-up.
Who you are
- You combine a scientific with a business oriented Master’s degree. with a proven track record of at least 5 years in business development in the medical industry.
- You have experience in, or understanding of, medical imaging/sensing technologies, preferably ultrasound.
So you have enough medical knowledge to be confident and credible in discussions with clinical opinion leaders in universities and research centers.
- Beyond sales/business development experience, you are preferably experienced in strategy development, sales & marketing management, product life cycle of high-tech products and general management.
- You have a relevant network in the medical imaging / medical devices industry and build lasting business relationships.
- Experience in building new high-tech startups from scratch is a major plus.
- Preferably, you have experience with fund raising (institutional as well as grants). Your exposure to venture capital investors in North America, Asia and Europe is a strong plus.
- You have had international exposure and experience in working with customers and partners in different geographies.
- You are experienced in leading and motivating teams.
- You have strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- You are an excellent communicator and have strong public speaking skills.
- You are based or willing to be based in Belgium and willing to travel when needed.