Entrepreneurial Scientist with CTO potential
What you will do
- You will be driving and defining the product roadmap of the spin-off. In close collaboration with the business developer/product manager (CEO), you will be translating the functional product architecture into a product definition with specifications for all subsystems.
- Simulate, design, develop and characterize a disruptive optical system and define in close collaboration with the business developer/product manager the MVP based on validation of the market needs.
- Identify, select and set-up technical collaborations with critical suppliers.
- Keep abreast of the technical developments in the field of optics for AR and benchmark solution with respect to the competitor’s offering.
- Take manufacturability into account at the design phase and select solutions that can be manufactured in a cost-effective way.
- Identify technical risks, prioritize them and assess the impact on the product development roadmap and propose elegant and efficient solutions to de-risk critical steps in an early phase. (FMEA analysis)
- As an inventor of elegant solutions to problems encountered, you contribute to the patent portfolio of the spin-off company
What we do for you
We offer you a unique opportunity to join and take up a leading role in and potentially co-founding an imec spin-off currently in incubation. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Imec and its family of spin-off companies create technologies and products that will shape the society of tomorrow.
Who you are
- You have a PhD or Master’s degree with equivalent experience in optics.
- Experience in the field of AR/VR/MR, expert knowledge of waveguide design, diffractive and polarization optics, display technologies is a must.
- You have experience in design, modeling (e.g. Zemax,..) and characterization of optical elements
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills in which you combine theoretical expertise with a pragmatic and hands on approach to solving problems and demonstrate progress.
- You have experience with building demonstrators, you have experience with Matlab, Python.
- You are thrilled by translating a disruptive technology into a compelling product.
- You have notions of micro-and nanofabrication techniques such as optical lithography, e-beam lithography and nano-imprint lithography, thin film process integration on glass substrates, display technologies.
- Experience with start-ups or fund-raising is a plus.
- You are living in Belgium or willing to move to Belgium.