High Speed Analog/RF IC Design Engineer for Optical Interconnects
What you will do
Future high-performance computing and information systems implemented in sub 14-nm CMOS nodes are expected to require chip-level I/O bandwidths beyond 25Tbps. Here the available power budget would be less than 500fJ per communicated bit. Such aggressive I/O requirements in terms of density and power efficiency will drive the adoption of optical interconnects integrated at the chip level. A key challenge in achieving these requirements remains the scaling of the optical “ports” or electro-optic transceivers. These ports form the interface between the electronic IC and the optical links. Scaling the bandwidth density and power consumption of these transceivers requires aggressive optimization and co-design efforts. The best-in-class optical devices (laser, modulators, photodetectors, waveguides, filters, ...) need to be combined with advanced modulator/laser drivers, receive amplifiers and control logic in scaled FINFET technology (10nm and below). The entire opto-electronic system should be capable of running at data rates of 50Gb/s and higher.
In this challenging job you will focus on:
- Designing Analog/RF ICs applied to high speed optical device modules. This also includes simulation/design/test.
- Analyzing the system specifications and technical requirements. You collaborate with optical device designers and processing engineers to align design requirements with technology capabilities.
- Supervising and supporting the layout activity for the physical design of individual building blocks and system level.
- Characterizing the designed test circuits. You also evaluate the system level performance of integrated test chips.
- Analyzing test results and communicate your insights to internal technology developers and imec’s partners.
- Delivering models for designing high-speed and low power silicon photonics systems.
What we do for you
- We are pleased to offer you the opportunity to join our multicultural and high-tech company in Leuven, Belgium. In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you can get a challenging job in an environment were even more challenges are for the taking. We are proud of our flexible, progressive and informal working environment with a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We can provide you an opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions.
- Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in your further development to assure your technical and personal growth.
- We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits. If needed, we also provide international relocation support for you and your family.
Who you are
- We value your Ph.D. in the area of Analog/RF IC design. Additional experience in the design of optical interconnects is a plus.
- You are a communicative team player, also able to work independently.
- You are pro-active, persuasive and assertive. You always keep a constructive attitude.
- You can flexibly change between different projects according to changing priorities.
- You have an excellent knowledge of English.