Intellectual Property Information Specialist
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference!
The patent department at imec has a staff of 3 European patent attorneys, 5 patent attorney trainees, 3 intellectual property information specialists and 3 formality officers. The department currently manages a patent portfolio of about 3800 patent and patent applications. Since 2000 the number of new patent families increases every year, resulting in 2016 in 149 first filings. Also in the field of patents imec has become a leading company in Belgium.
To steer imec's research activities and to optimally protect the obtained research results, it is necessary to know the State of the Art. This technical information can be searched in specialized databases by using dedicated search engines. Requests for technical information are coming from imec employees, particularly from patent attorney (trainees), researchers and/or management. These requests include patentability search, patent landscape search and search for 3rd party patent position.
You will support patent attorney (trainees) by:
- Defining the scope of the search request, not only for patentability requests but also for other type of searches.
- Interpreting requests for technical (patent) information.
- Defining a search strategy to obtain optimal results.
- Searching, finding, analyzing the technical (patent) information.
- Reporting in a synoptic, concise manner to the imec employees involved.
Additionally you will:
- Train imec employees in using public available (patent)literature databases in support of their research activities.
- Be in contact with external information suppliers.
- Follow the latest developments in the field of patent and literature information.
- You have a Master in applied or exact sciences in physics, electronics or electro-mechanics.
- You have a strong interest in searching technical information.
- You have good analytical skills.
- You work accurately and in a structured way.
- You are an enthusiastic team player, but you can work independently and take initiative.
- You have strong communication skills, both orally and written.
- You have a thorough knowledge of English. Knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
- You have in interest in combining technical expertise with legal skills.
- You are willing to become familiar with basic principles of intellectual property, e.g. by attending external training.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imecAcademy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.