Intern, High Speed Wireline Communication System Design
What you will do
Our insatiable appetite for infotainment leads to ever bigger demands to transport data. Next generation chip to chip, rack to rack and long-haul communication systems all require massive bandwidth at great power efficiency. The trend is towards ever higher data rates and better power efficiency. The recent DARPA PIPES call targets an aggregate throughput of 1Pbps at 0.1pJ/bit energy consumption. Meanwhile, standardization bodies such as IEEE and the industry driven Open Compute Project are also working towards 1Tbps systems and beyond.
Imec USA is looking for a graduate level high speed optical/electrical wireline communication system design intern for an extremely high data rate wireline communication project. In this role you will be responsible for architecture of a low power high data rate optical/electrical 100Gb/s plus wireline communication system.
Your responsibilities include:
- Development of an end-to-end MATLAB/python model of an optical wireline communication system
- Explore various trade offs between different coherent and incoherent modulations schemes for a short distance optical wireline communication system
- Explore various low power equalization techniques to overcome various non-idealities introduced by channel and various electronic/photonic components such as chromatic dispersion, limited bandwidth of photo-detectors, and TIAs etc.
- Explore algorithms for low power carrier recovery techniques
- Ideally, your novel solutions lead to patents and publications in top conferences and journals
- Available to work a summer or summer/fall internship period
What we do for youIn exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. This internship offers you the opportunity to work for imec, a globally recognized leader in high frequency electronics design. You will have an assigned mentor to guide you through this highly valuable, hands on learning experience. You will work with top researchers from imec and from our industry partners. We are a not for profit research institution where you can work across a variety of projects and topics. We work close to industry, so your expertise and efforts often convert to solutions that are widely utilized and make positive impacts in the world. Our progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field.
Who you are
- Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate from a relevant master’s or PhD program. Candidates from top tier US universities well known for programs in Electrical Engineering, Optical Communication and Photonics
- Strong knowledge of DSP techniques, equalization techniques, and optical communication system design are preferred
- Experience in modeling of communication system
- Experience or coursework in optical communication
- Strong fundamentals in signal and systems
- Strong coding skills in Python and MATLAB
- Experience with Linux workstation environment
- Experience working in R&D environments with successful publications, patents or both is preferred
- Can present your research effectively at conferences and in other technical forums
- Highly motivated to work in a research environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multidisciplinary team