Intern, Photonic Integrated Circuit Test & Analysis (Summer/ Fall)
What you will do
Imec, USA is looking for a graduate level Silicon Photonics Circuit Design intern for a optical communications project. In this role you will be responsible for measuring passive and active photonic chips and analyze the results. Simulation of photonic components for troubleshooting and validation will be necessary. Your responsibilities include:
- Setting up measurement environment
- Constructing PIC control subsystem
- Identifying lab equipment needed for measurement and interact with sellers for equipment purchase
- Writing scripts for measurement automation
- Analyzing measurement results and troubleshooting
- hotonic simulation to further validate measurement results
- Reporting to colleagues and clients
- Publishing in international journals and contributing to major conferences
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. This internship offers you the opportunity to work for imec, a globally recognized leader in high frequency electronics design. With the guidance of senior researchers, you will participate in a full design cycle. You will have an assigned mentor to guide you through this highly valuable, hands on learning experience. You will work with top researchers from imec and from our industry partners. We are a not for profit research institution where you can work across a variety of projects and topics. We work close to industry, so your expertise and efforts often convert to solutions that are widely utilized and make positive impacts in the world. Our progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
Who you are
- Currently enrolled in a relevant Master’s or PhD program in a top university in a relevant discipline such as Photonics, Electronics or Physics.
- Hand-on experience with fiber-to-chip coupling (grating coupling and edge coupling)
- Familiar with conventional PIC measurement equipment (such as tunable laser, optical network analyzer...)
- Experience in commercial software for photonic component design such as Lumerical, Fimmwave, Rsoft, CST, COMSOL.
- Can design some basic passive components from scratch with commercial tools
- Measurement experience with active photonics elements on wire-bonded PCB is a strong plus
- Experience working in R&D environments with successful publications, patents or both is preferred
- Can present your research effectively at conferences and in other technical forums
- Highly motivated to work in a research environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
This internship can be extended depending on the student's availability
It is the policy of imec to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline and termination. Reasonable accommodations of disability and religion are available for qualified individuals, upon request, provided that such accommodation does not present an undue hardship to imec.