Silicon Laser Device Engineer
What you will do
Over the past several years, silicon photonics (SiPh) has emerged as a highly prospective technology for realizing cost-effective Tb/s scale optical interconnects as well as novel optical sensing applications. However, to fully unlock the potential of SiPh, a cost-effective process for integrating high-performance III-V lasers and amplifiers into the SiPh platform needs to be developed. Heterogeneous integration through collective die-to-wafer bonding of high-quality III-V epitaxial layer stacks followed by wafer-scale III-V device patterning is considered a key enabler to this end.
You will be responsible for modeling, design, layout and testing of high-performance III-V/silicon laser devices in imec’s 300mm SiPh platform. This position is available in the “3D and Optical Technologies” department in imec’s STS business unit.
- Generating, developing and demonstrating novel device concepts to push the state of the art in heterogeneous III-V on silicon laser devices for data-communication and sensing applications
- Modeling, design and layout of heterogeneous III-V on silicon laser devices in imec’s SiPh platform (optical/electrical/mechanical/thermal)
- Testing, evaluation and qualification of heterogeneous III-V on silicon laser devices (optical/electrical/mechanical/thermal)
- Driving project execution by interacting with photonic and 3-D integration engineers, and test & reliability engineers.
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders including imec’s partners and customers
- Reporting to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals
What we do for you
- We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
- We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
- We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits. If needed, we also provide international relocation support for you and your family.
Who you are
- Obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics.
- 3+ years hands-on experience in III-V semiconductor laser design, modeling and testing
- 2+ years hands-on experience with III-V semiconductor laser processing
- Experience with silicon photonics is a plus
- An enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Excellent English communication skills and willing to work in a multicultural environment.