Patent Portfolio Manager
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Patent Portfolio Manager.
You build an adequate patent portfolio in support of imec’s Smart Electronics unit, in particular in the fields of wearable health monitoring, life sciences and/or image sensors/vision systems. To do so, you collaborate closely with imec’s management and with the researchers in your fields. Within time, you advice imec in directing its R&D and valorization activities, based on patent intelligence studies. Thanks to your counseling, appropriate priority is given to actions to be taken.
Working for imec represents an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic Patent Portfolio Manager who wants to participate to an evolving and more IP-conscious global leading research organization, allowing further professional development. As portfolio manager, you are responsible for your patent portfolio. This includes not only business strategy considerations, but also ideation and invention harvesting. You will enjoy considerable autonomy in the drafting, filing, and prosecution of the resulting patent applications in different jurisdictions.
You join an enthusiastic, hands-on team of three European/Belgian patent attorneys, three patent attorney trainees, four patent information officers and four formality officers.
Since 2014 imec is in the top three of Belgian applicants of European patent applications.
- You have a Master’s or PhD degree in Engineering, preferably in electronics or physics.
- You have a genuine passion for technology and innovation and are interested in a variety of technologies.
- You liaise in a constructive and efficient way with colleagues, researchers and managers.
- You can cope with ambiguity in an innovative and evolving working environment.
- You are willing to follow, under supervision, an extensive training in line with your level of knowledge and experience in order to become a patent portfolio manager. This training program will last several years and contains both on-the-job training and classroom trainings, in- and/or outside Belgium. This training program aims at providing you a profound understanding of intellectual property rights and management thereof. A successful patent portfolio manager can also become a qualified European patent attorney.
- You identify imec’s need for patent counseling in different business cases. You accordingly counsel, accurately and completely, in a decisive manner.
- You can cope with a high work pace, handle deadlines and plan your work efficiently.
- You communicate fluently in English both orally and written. Willingness to gain at least a passive understanding of Dutch would be appreciated.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imecAcademy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits. Interested in more details? Explore our website (www.imec.be) and be convinced!