IDLab is a research group of UGent, as well as a core research group of imec. IDLab performs fundamental and applied research on data science and internet technology, and counts over 300 members (40 professors, 50 post docs, 200 researchers, 15 support staff members). Our major research areas are machine learning and data mining; semantic intelligence; multimedia processing; distributed intelligence for IoT; cloud and big data infrastructures; wireless and fixed networking; electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and system. The research for this PhD position will be conducted in the cloud and big data infrastructure track.
You will be performing research in the domain of scalable and reliable software systems for Smart Cities.
- You will investigate micro-service based software architectures capable of retrieving, processing and storing large amounts of multi-sensor data in a Smart City context. This data needs to be made available to a large variety of Smart City applications through intelligently designed APIs.
- You will analyse and design container-based elastic service provisioning to cope with monitored dynamic service demands.
- You will build up hands-on experience by designing and prototyping front- and backend software components for different Smart City applications on top of the City of Things testbed (https://www.imec-int.com/en/cityofthings) and will evaluate the performance of these prototypes.
- You publish and present results both at international conferences and in scientific journals.
- This research will lead to a PhD degree. Throughout the complete PhD period, you receive a full-time, attractive salary.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications and skills.
- You have a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electronics-ICT or Informatics.
- You are highly proficient with high-level programming languages (e.g. Java).
- Capable of rapidly absorbing novel software technologies (e.g. container management frameworks like Kubernetes, micro-service frameworks like Vert.X or Spring Boot)
- A strong interest in methods for building highly scalable, reactive software systems is a must.
- Hands-on experience with big data processing toolkits like e.g. Spark Streaming, Apache Flink is a plus.
- You can plan and carry out your tasks in an independent way. You have strong analytical skills to interpret the obtained research results.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- You can commit to timing and milestones set forward by different research projects.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
We offer a fully funded PhD position in a challenging, stimulating and pleasant research environment, where you can contribute to the worldwide research on Smart City front- and backend components. The work is done in close collaboration with national and international industry players. You will join an enthusiastic team of researchers, post-docs and professors.
Applicants should apply with the following:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae including references to software projects the candidate worked on
- Two reference contacts
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview (remote interview possible for international applicants). For more information about the position contact prof. dr. email@example.com.