What will you do
IDLab (http://idlab.ugent.be ) is a core research group of imec with research activities embedded in Ghent University. IDLab performs fundamental and applied research on data science and Internet technology, and is, with over 300 researchers, one of the larger research groups at imec. Our major research areas are machine learning and data mining; semantic intelligence; multimedia processing; distributed intelligence for IoT; cloud and big data infrastructures; wireless and fixed networking; electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and systems.
We currently have a position for PhD researcher to support our research track on Management of Video Streaming services, more specifically in the domain of next-generation immersive applications (virtual and augmented reality, holographic-type communication), such as tele-presence, remote learning and training, immersive spaces, remote collaboration, and entertainment.
Video streaming applications will continue to dominate Internet traffic, driven by the rising popularity of over-the-top adaptive streaming solutions. To keep up with the ever more stringent quality and latency requirements in virtual, augmented and holographic environments, novel architectures and protocols have to be researched, as well as machine learning techniques to autonomously deal with highly variable network characteristics, predict user behaviour and optimize Quality of Experience (QoE) dynamically. Topics that will therefore be addressed in this research track include (but are not limited to) the following:
machine learning algorithms for user profiling, traffic characterization and behaviour prediction; network and application data analysis in support of QoE optimization, novel network protocols and architectures, beyond 5G, to support immersive video streaming; storage, computing and network resource optimization.
- You will conduct research on next-generation immersive video streaming solutions in the framework of national and European research projects.
- You will build up hands-on experience by implementing novel technologies and machine learning algorithms and by evaluating these through simulations and emulations on imec’s technical lab.
- You will publish and present results both at international conferences and in scientific journals.
Who you are
- You have a master degree in computer science, informatics or electrical engineering.
- You have a keen interest in network management algorithms and technologies, preferably in the domain of video streaming services.
- You have analytical skills, you are well-organized and able to autonomously plan and execute tasks.
- You are a team player and have excellent communication skills in English.
- You are highly proficient in a variety of programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, C/C++).
- You have a proven track record in scientific publishing.
What we offer
We offer a very challenging, full-time position, available immediately, in an inspiring, flexible and very dynamic environment. You will join a young and enthusiastic team of developers, researchers, post-docs and professors. You will receive a competitive salary.
Candidates should send their CV and a motivation letter to Prof. Filip De Turck (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Tim Wauters (email@example.com) by e-mail with subject “Application – Immersive Media Streaming”, before February 28th, 2019.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview (remote interview possible for international applicants). Applicants are to provide one or more reference letters.