Photonics Integrated Circuit Design Intern
What you will do
Imec-USA is looking for a graduate level Photonic Integrated Circuit Design Intern for an optical communication project. In this role you will be responsible for in-house photonic building block simulation and layout design using imec PDK.
Your responsibilities include:
- Develop customized building blocks based on imec PDK.
- Develop in-house building block (parametric cell) library that can be used across several EDA tools (Luceda, Mentor Graphics, Cadence...).
- Participate in imec wafer run to verify the in-house designed components.
- Reporting to colleagues and clients.
- Publishing in international journals and contributing to major conferences.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, imec offers you the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects with experienced research team. You will have an assigned mentor to guide you through this highly valuable, hands on learning experience. Imec will offer you research insights from an industrial perspective, and experience of using industrial standard software and equipment to work on your project. Imec also provides opportunities for interns to establish connections with prestigious industry and academic entities.
Who you are
- Currently enrolled in a relevant Master or PhD program in a top university in a relevant discipline such as Photonics, Electronics or Physics. Senior PhD students are encouraged to apply.
- Familiar with photonic components and can design basic passive devices from scratch.
- Familiar with programming language (python, C++, Matlab) …
- Experience in commercial software for photonic component design such as Lumerical and Rsoft.
- Experience with photonic layout tool (such as Phoenix, Cadence and Luceda) is a plus.
- Tapeout (customized building block design) experience using foundry PDK is a plus.
- Photonic chip characterization experience is a plus.
- Experience working in R&D environments with successful publications, patents or both is preferred.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
It is the policy of imec to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline and termination. Reasonable accommodations of disability and religion are available for qualified individuals, upon request, provided that such accommodation does not present an undue hardship to imec.