Postdoctoral Researcher High-Density Fiber Interfaces for Silicon Photonic Interconnects
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Postdoctoral Researcher High-Density Fiber Interfaces for Silicon Photonic Interconnects.
Silicon photonics (SiPh) has emerged as a scalable technology for short reach optical interconnects. With chip-level I/O bandwidth requirements now exceeding 10Tb/s, optical interconnects based on SiPh are increasingly being considered even for very short reach links (~1-5m) such as backplane interconnects. However, to unlock this potential, a manufacturable and cost effective highly-parallel fiber coupling solution enabling spatial-division multiplexing (SDM) needs to be developed. Such solution should provide a robust and low loss optical interface between dense arrays of fiber coupling structures (gratings or edge coupler) on the SiPh chip on one side and highly parallel fiber arrays of single-mode fiber (SMF), multi-core fiber (MCF) or multi-mode fiber (MMF) on the other side. As a post-doctoral researcher, you will develop such massively parallel (100+) fiber interfaces, fully compliant with high-volume assembly based on passive alignment. In order to achieve this goal, innovative fiber coupling structures including beam shaping functionality and mechanical support structures will be designed and fabricated using wafer-scale silicon processes in imec’s clean room. This position is available in the “3D and Optical Technologies” department in imec’s STS business unit. Part of this work will be carried out in collaboration with commercial vendors of specialty optical fiber and connectors, as well as with the CMST research group at Ghent University.
- Modeling, design and layout of highly-parallel fiber coupling interfaces (30%)
- Fabrication of highly-parallel fiber coupling interfaces (20%)
- Assembly & characterization of highly-parallel fiber coupling interfaces (35%)
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders including imec’s partners and customers (10%)
- Reporting to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals (5%)
The ideal candidate has/is:
- Obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics, with a focus on semiconductor device physics.
- 3+ years hands-on experience in packaging and measuring fiber-coupled devices
- 2+ years hands-on experience with optical design software such as RSoft, Lumerical, FimmWave/FimmProp, Zemax/Code V/OSLO.
- Familiarity with a high-level programming language such as C++, Java or Python
- Experience with silicon photonics is a plus
- An enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Excellent English communication skills and willing to work in a multicultural environment.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).
We offer a challenging position for two years in an advanced high-tech environment and in an international, interdisciplinary team. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we offer various training possibilities. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary.