Postdoctoral Researcher III-N MOCVD on Si
What you will do
Due to their superior material properties, III-N semiconductors (GaN AlN, InN and their compounds) have been considered as the most promising candidates for the next generation RF electronics that is crucial for the upcoming 5G communication. Because of shortage of native substrates, epitaxial growth of III-N semiconductors is usually carried out on foreign substrates, among which Si substrates is accepted as the most cost-effective option. This hence opens up the unpreceded possibility for monolithic integration between GaN and Si CMOS. But a viable path towards realizing a higher level of integration at wafer level between GaN-based devices and Si devices with good manufacturability is largely unclear to the entire community.
The goal of this postdoctoral research is to explore different concepts and gain fundamental understanding on the limitations to pave the path towards the monolithic co-integration of III-N semiconductors with Si CMOS devices.
More specifically, you will:
- Explore, investigate and validate novel approaches, including but not limited to engineered novel substrates, selective area growth, Van der Waals epitaxy, etc.
- Work on metalorganic vapor deposition (MOCVD) of III-N semiconductor structure, using both a Thomas Swan close coupled showerhead (CCS) research reactor (up to 6” wafer size) and a production MOCVD system on 8” Si substrates.
- Provide fundamental understanding on the physical and chemical processes that govern the growth dynamics of III-N materials on blanket substrates or patterned wafers.
- Work cross-functionally with the integration team and supported by the advanced material characterization and device fabrication/characterization capability at imec.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary.
Who you are
- You obtained a PhD in Physics, Materials science or engineering, electric engineering or equivalent.
- Knowledge and profound experience in MOCVD epitaxial process of III-N semiconductor is a must. Direct experience of III-N MOCVD Epi on Si substrates and hands on experience with MOCVD tool maintenance and troubleshooting are strong plus.
- Rich experience with various material characterization technics is preferred.
- You can work autonomously, are well organized, have a good attention to detail and value quality.
- You are an enthusiastic and self-motivated team player with good communication and reporting skills.
- Given the international character of imec, good knowledge of (spoken and written) English is a must.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).