Postdoctoral Researcher - MBE Growth and Characterization of Topological Insulator Materials
What you will do
Imec is currently investing heavily into exploratory devices and emerging materials like topological insulators and spintronic devices which could potentially enable a large variety of new functionalities such as spin-based logic or memory devices up to quantum computing. There is a strong need to better understand and control these emerging materials as well as explore new fabrication schemes.
In this post-doctoral project, we want to explore 3D topological insulator materials based on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) growth techniques. 3D TI materials will have potential applications in advanced memory devices and quantum computing. You will execute the growth of Bismuth-based 3D topological insulator materials. The 3D TI of interest is Bi2Se3 compound (or varieties thereof) which can be grown through Van der Waals epitaxy on various substrates. The daily activities will include epitaxial growth of TI thin films by means of MBE, physical (including ARPES) and electrical (including Hall bar structures) characterization of the grown layers together with the interpretation of experimental results. The research will be strongly linked to the modeling project on nanoscale spintronic devices and systems and supported by experts from different domains in imec. The work will also be part of EU project SKYTOP in close collaboration with key actors in the field across Europe.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in the field of Material Science, Chemistry or Physics
- You have experience in epitaxy (of metals, semiconductors or insulators) and especially specific experience in topological insulator materials
- You can work with complex characterization techniques (including ARPES)
- You have at least some basic knowledge about ab-initio simulations and are willing to take a deep dive
- We value experience with
o molecular beam epitaxy
o Bi2Se3 family of topological insulators
o physical and electrical characterizations
- You work in a structured, transparent and accurate way
- You are a constructive team player and actively share experience and knowledge with colleagues.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).