Postdoc Nanophotonic switches on silicon photonics platform
Imec performs world-leading research in nano-electronics. Imec leverages its scientific knowledge with the innovative power of its global partnerships in ICT, healthcare and energy. Imec delivers industry-relevant technology solutions. In a unique high-tech environment, its international top talent is committed to providing the building blocks for a better life in a sustainable society. Imec is headquartered in Leuven (Belgium) and has offices in the Netherlands, US, Taiwan, China, India and Japan. Its staff of more than 2,500 people includes over 750 industrial residents, guest researchers and scholarships.
In the SPICE project imec will develop an optical switching layer addressing a spintronic memory layer.
- develop an optical switching layer for guiding femtosecond laser pulses to a spintronic memory layer. The core elements to be developed will be a low power switch with sufficient bandwidth for switching sub-picosecond pulses and nanophotonic elements for coupling light out of the guiding layer with sub-wavelength localization.
- be involved in design and advanced characterization.
- be responsible for the interaction between the group of Prof. Van Thourhout at Ghent University and the group of dr. Van Campenhout at imec-Leuven and for the communication with the project partners. Part of the fabrication will be carried out in imec’s pilot lines, part will be carried out by you in the cleanroom labs of UGent and imec.
- You have a PhD in the fields of nanophotonics, plasmonics, spintronics.
- You have hands-on experience with advanced photonics simulations tools (FDTD, FEM, …) and preferably also in nanofabriation and characterisation of photonic devices.
- you have good communication and interpersonal skills to link research groups and project partners.
- English language skills to work in imec’s international working environment.
We offer you an extendable postdoctoral position of 1 year in the Photonics Research Group, imec’s associated lab at Ghent University.