Postdoctoral Researcher Integrated Circuit (IC) Design for Wireless Ultrasound Power Delivery
What you will do
Imec’s Biomedical Circuits and Systems design team has a strong experience and background in integrated circuits for future healthcare and life science applications. Our team specializes in IC design for wearable and implantable healthcare. Among other things, we are working on advanced next-generation smart medical implants and we are looking for a good post-doctoral researcher to tackle a major hurdle in this field. One of the biggest challenges to overcome, is the problem of power delivery. Ultra-sound is a very interesting technique for medical implants because it is not absorbed as much as RF by tissue, while ultrasound transducers can be made very small and even integrated into a chip.
In this post-doctoral research, we want to investigate custom integrated circuit (IC) designs coupled to miniature ultrasound transducers for power delivery to extremely miniaturized deep implants. The outcome of this research will allow dramatically smaller implants paving the way for true minimally invasive solutions. The work will be integrated and demonstrated in a proof-of-concept device.In this postdoctoral research, you will investigate a custom integrated circuit for ultra-sound power delivery for extremely miniaturized deep implants. You will investigate the complete power link (transmitter & receiver) with a strong focus on miniaturization and highly integrated solutions (at least on the receiver side). You will be responsible to define the most optimal architecture considering also the transducer design. You will be expected to discuss frequently with US transducer experts within imec to be able to design the most optimal system. You will then proceed and design novel power harvesting and management circuits. You will verify the chips in a bench setup and develop a true proof-of-concept demonstrator with integrated ultrasound transducers. Addressing these challenges will require coming up with innovative architectures and circuit tricks which is expected to result in publications and patent applications.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary.
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree in Electronics Engineering.
- You have a strong research mindset with at least 1 high-profile publication on IC design (ISSCC, JSSC, VLSI, ESCIRC, ...).
- We are looking for your strong knowledge about analog design concepts (opamps, filters, ADCs, gm-C circuits, ...). Prior experience in IC design for energy harvesting, power management and/or ultrasound is a plus.
- We value strong affinity with biomedical domains and interest in MEMS manufacturing technology in general or ultrasound transducers.
- We value your good knowledge of:
- Cadence Virtuoso including ADE (G)XL
- Layout tools and design verification (DRC, LVS, ERC, ...)
- Measuring and validating high-performance, low-noise and low-power analog ICs
- You show a problem-solving attitude, are able to work independently and eager to take initiative and responsibility.
- Your broad interest across disciplines and strong desire to stay up-to-date with recent advancements in state-of-the-art are very much appreciated.
- We are looking for your excellent open and constructive communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team.