Research Engineer for Reliability of 3D interconnects
What you will do
One important part of IMEC research is exploring new strategies to reduce the cost per function and the function density of integrated circuits (IC) and systems. The 3-dimensional stacking (3D) of IC represent a very interesting option, and is based on 3D interconnect elements or building blocks for providing vertical electrical connections between the stacked ICs. Through-silicon Vias (TSV) are one example. These interconnects have to guarantee correct and stable signal propagation between stacked dies during the 3D IC product lifetime. Their reliability is therefore an essential aspect to be optimized during design and and processing of experimental interconnect test structures.
Your main focus will be in assessing the reliability of 3D interconnect structures. This activity is very important for the Imec research program in 3D integration, and requires good electrical test skills and good understanding of the reliability concerns in IC interconnects.
More in particular, you will:
- plan, execute and report reliability tests of 3D interconnect test-structures manufactured in imec’s facilities; data analysis and interpretation of the results are the expected outcome of this activity;
- present and discuss the results together with IMEC reliability and 3D integration experts, to analyze potential reliability performance issues of the interconnect structures due to design, processing and/or materials (dielecrics and metals); the final goal is to find improvement and solution strategies to reach a satisfactory reliability performance of these 3D interconnects;
- research and propose innovative methodologies for the reliability characterization of 3D interconnect structures; the design of new test structures and the set up of new measurement procedures are the expected outcome of this activity, performed together with measurement experts;
- present and discuss the results of the previous activities to Imec researchers, partners, and publish them in international scientific conferences and journals publications.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imecAcademy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits. Interested in more details? Explore our website (www.imec.be) and be convinced!
Who you are
- We value your master/PhD degree in engineering or a master/PhD in science or related field.
- We see your knowledge of reliability as an asset.
- You strive to constantly update and expand your scientific knowledge and you are interested in acquiring new skills and competences.
- You are eager to be creative and to propose new methodologies for assessing reliability.
- You like to do both practical work in the lab and literature/report (papers, presentations) read and writing.
- You have good communication skills since you will work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers.
- You are a flexible team player, willing to actively helping other team members, you see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow with good networking and reporting skills.
- Given the international character of imec, we see your good knowledge of English as a must.