Research Engineer (Micro) Fluidic System Design - OnePlanet Research Center
Innovating towards a healthier future with chip and
digital technology in food and health
In 2050 we are expected to live with 10 billion people on this planet. To let all those people live and eat well, while they take care of our planet, we need groundbreaking, sustainable (technology) solutions. That’s why we, at OnePlanet Research Center, are questioning ourselves:
What if we can measure and understand what is good for the world and for each individual person? In terms of food and agriculture, in terms of health?
What if we can empower people towards more sustainable choices?
What if we can make data-driven nutrition and health possible?
What if we can manage stress to make people more resilient?
What if we can monitor the health of plants and animals?
What if we develop technology which does not adversely affect our environment, but which supports it?
What if we can transform mass production of food into personalized food on demand?
What if …?!
At OnePlanet Research Center we don’t just imagine it. We work on it. We dream ánd do. We research and develop digital technology in food, agriculture and health domains achieving behavior change. Change that is needed to create a healthier future, for our planet and for humanity.
OnePlanet Research Center
Innovation center for chip and digital technology in food and health
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary
collaboration agreement between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. We use the latest chip and digital technology to
create a society in which everyone can live a healthy life and has access to
good and sufficient food.
We initiate groundbreaking, fundamental and applied research, groundbreaking innovations and smart product development. This is only possible by using and bringing together great ideas, innovations and chip and digital technologies from different disciplines and work closely together with industry.
We ensure that companies, education, researchers, social institutions and citizens work together. We combine specialisms from the fields of agriculture, food and health and turn dreams into feasible solutions that contribute to a more sustainable society.
What you will do
We need you as a Research Engineer (Micro) Fluidic System Design to:
- Conduct research on (micro)fluidic sampling and handling technologies for noninvasive biosensors/medical devices together with a team of sensor developers, hardware and software engineers as well as application specialists to create and test new concepts in this field.
- Define concepts and architectures for noninvasive medical devices like the encapsulations for ingestible pills.
- Collaborate in an inter-disciplinary team. Understand (internal or external) customer requirements and challenges and translate these into specifications and solutions to be incorporated in the design.
- Make decisions on materials, components and fabrication of the design while taking the system requirements, quality and cost effectiveness of the device into consideration.
- Validate your own designs experimentally in a lab environment.
- Drive sampling and eventually full enclosure of the packaging to success by managing manufacturing processes at external companies.
- Translate new insights into patent applications and publications at peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
- Result driven with a tremendous drive to make a difference.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment
at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned
industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the
market that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society.
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration agreement between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. This means that you work in an environment of globally respected research institutes/universities. Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities.
By joining the OnePlanet team, you will be part of a team of world changers; disruptive innovators and practical thinkers. Here, your ideas will have an impact on our future lives.
Who you are
We are looking for a highly motivated person with the following assets:
- Msc or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Applied Physics or similar with knowledge of (micro)fluidics.
- 3+ years relevant experience with fluidic sampling and handling.
- Excellent knowledge of micromachining (valves, seals, tubes, pumps ...)
- Knowledge of (biocompatible) materials.
- Knowledge of advanced novel manufacturing techniques including 3D printing and rapid prototyping.
- Experience in collaborating with external manufacturers.
- Excellent working proficiency with AutoCAD, Solidworks, Siemens NX or similar.
- Excellent communication skills and fluent in English.
Are you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can talk to Frank Wolfs, Talent Acquisition Lead OnePlanet. You can reach Frank via +31(0)6-50837563. Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.