Researcher in PV and Solar-to-molecule device modelling
What you will do
Imec’s photovoltaic group is an internationally recognized research group thanks to its expertise, extensive industrial network and world-class laboratories. The present position is in the Energy System Simulation team located on the Energyville Campus in Genk.
In the last five years imec has developed a patented and extensively validated high-accuracy PV system energy yield simulation framework, based on which a launch of a new product/venture is in progress. Combining the in-depth technical insights of imec with system simulation principles and advanced computing approaches, the imec PV yield simulation framework has reached unprecedented accuracies. Owing to these achievements we have numerous research and industrial projects to further expand the framework towards novel PV cell and module technologies, and to model their degradation mechanisms. More broadly, we have also started to expand this framework to storage and conversion devices such as solar fuels. Validation with real-life measurement data will be and essential part of the development cycle. Imec aims to develop simulation frameworks to steer the clean energy transition through system and technology co-optimization.
In this role, you will:
- lead 1-2 own research projects and guide the work of graduate and internship student in related projects.
- follow the progress of other industrial and academic R&D groups and participate in international working groups (e.g. IEA).
- generate creative research ideas with industrial relevance, involved in multiple international projects, and deliver beyond the state-of-the-art research results.
This topic is part of the core strategy of the Energy System Simulation team located on the Energyville Campus in Genk. The new state-of-the-art PV and smart building lab characterization facilities in EnergyVille will be leveraged in the project.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a Master degree and 4 years of experience or a PhD in Physics and/or Electrical/Computer Engineering.
- You have experience in advanced multi-disciplinary modelling, preferably in the (renewable) energy domain. You know Python and/or Matlab programming. You are familiar with machine-learning based modeling.
- You are a self-motivated creative thinker with an outstanding scientific/technical track record.
- You have the pioneering spirit to start novel research topics and drive to excel.
- You take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team.
- You can schedule your work according to deadlines and deliverables.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- As researcher you will receive training, coaching and networking opportunities to grow into recognized internal expert.