Researcher in Solid Nanocomposite Electrolytes for Lithium Ion Batteries
What you will do
Your responsibilities will include:
- Inventive contributions in the development and optimization of nanocomposite electrolytes;
- Organization of experiments with planning and in consultation with scientific management;
- Ensuring good practice and setting up protocols for reproducible measurements;
- Guidance of PhD and master thesis students;
- Quality and safety control;
- Regular and thorough reporting to management and industrial partners.
What we do for you
The electrochemical storage team at imec is developing solid-state Li-ion batteries with high energy density, short charging time, long lifetime and which are intrinsically safe. In this growing R&D activity, we are currently looking for a researcher to lead the work package on solid nanocomposite electrolytes. The job involves top notch R&D into a novel nanocomposite electrolyte which was developed at imec. This solid electrolyte composite material is synthesized by a sol-gel process. The ion conductivity is tuned by careful control of the structure and surface chemistry of the nano-porous oxide matrix. We have set a challenging target to increase the ion conductivity to 100mS/cm in the coming years. We seek a motivated researcher who will take up this challenge together with the team and our industrial partners in the program.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
You will work in the imec labs in Leuven, but you are also expected to have regular visits to the new battery lab in Genk.
Who you are
We are looking for candidates who have experience in sol-gel synthesis and engineering of surface chemistry in mesoporous oxides. Experience with Li-ion cell technology, nanoionics and electrochemistry is a plus. Furthermore, you are a self-motivated scientist or engineer, who seizes opportunities and is enthused by new challenges.
- You have a PhD degree in science or engineering, or equivalent by experience.
- You have knowledge of surface chemistry in mesoporous materials.
- You have experience in sol-gel processing and electrochemical characterization.
- You are knowledgeable of Li-ion batteries and preferably with composite electrolytes.
- You take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team.
- You can guide and motivate team members in their work.
- You can plan the work of a team according to deadlines and deliverables.
- You are creative and like to think with the team to solve problems.
- You are result-driven and can meet stringent deadlines with quality output.
- You are flexible to accept new challenges in the future, and to evolve together with the changing R&D demands of our high-tech environment.
The imec environment requires a good team player with competent communication and reporting skills. Given the international character of imec an impeccable knowledge of English is mandatory.