Researcher MOCVD III-N Epitaxy
What you will do
MOCVD III-N technology is used at imec for Al(Ga)N/GaN based materials for power and RF transistors because of their higher critical electric field for breakdown and faster switching speed. It is expected that a significant power saving will be realized over the conventional Si power devices, thus contributing to the overall energy efficiency of power supplies, photovoltaic inverters, and many other power systems.
Key to all this application is the growth of the GaN hetero-structures on 200 mm Si or patterned device wafers, using metalorganic vapour phase epitaxy (MOVPE, also known as MOCVD).
You are member of the Epitaxial Growth group (EPI), which is responsible for developing processes in close collaboration with the process integration departments running imec’s Derivative Technologies programs. You work in a cross-functional teams of about 10 people with whom you interact on a daily basis. You will work in a dynamic multidisciplinary and multicultural environment in close cooperation with Researchers, Process and Hardware Engineers, Equipment Vendors, Industrial Assignees, Device and Process experts.
As a Researcher on Epitaxial growth, you will be responsible for developing MOCVD growth processes of III-N materials. Primarily, you are responsible for developing the processes that are required by imec’s programs or customers. For this, you work mainly in the cleanroom.
More specifically, you will:
- Define, organize and validate process development for the epitaxial growth of III-N materials and look for specific integration solutions.
- Provide fundamental understanding on the physical and chemical processes that govern the growth dynamics of III-N materials on blanket Si substrates or patterned device wafers.
- Actively contribute to the research programs and joint development programs with external partners.
- Work cross-functionally with the integration/process support/hardware teams and industrial partners, utilizing scientific and engineering skills to enhance the team capability.
- Report about your work to internal and external partners, on international conferences, publish key results in scientific journals and turn new ideas into IP.
- Share and discuss your R&D results at team and program meetings, and you timely execute process development projects.
- Perform material and electrical characterizations of the grown layer stacks.
- Monitor industry trends and innovations, applying scientific knowledge and adapting to imec research programs and activities.
- Interface with device researchers to identify the future needs and trends.
- Coordinate and implement the non-standard work in imec’s fab organization together with fab process engineers and the pilot line. This includes coordination of the transfer of developed processes and tools to support and operational teams.
You will be coached on-the-job by a senior MOCVD scientist.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You preferably have a PhD in Physics or Material Science. 3-5 years’ hands-on experience in epitaxial growth of III-V materials like GaN, InGaAs, InP... is a must.
- You are an enthusiastic and creative team player with strong networking, communication and reporting skills who likes to work in a multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers and will have frequently interactions with clients.
- You have project management skills and a strong capability to work independently with a focus on quality for your deliverables.
- You are working autonomously, well-organized, with a good attention to detail and you set high standards in everything you do.
- You are interested in working hands-on in a clean room environment.
- Given the international character of imec, good knowledge of (spoken and written) English is a must.