Senior Researcher, Imaging Systems
What you will do
As a Senior Researcher, Imaging Systems you will model, develop, prototype, and analyze imaging systems across many wavelengths. You will leverage your theoretical knowledge in electromagnetics, radiometry, optics, detectors, digital and analog electronics, image and signal processing, and imaging system performance. Hands on and prototyping experience is a plus. This role includes concept development, design, and fabrication of novel and unique active and passive imaging systems for millimeter-Wave, Ladar/Lidar, range gated, hyperspectral and infrared imaging systems, for commercial, space, and defense applications.
In this role you will:
- Build functioning protoypes of imaging systems and components such as: active sources, drivers for sensors, imagers and imager chips.
- Model, design, build, test and evaluate imaging systems.
- Provide critical feedback and design guidance on the development of new imaging and microelectronic component technology.
- Collaborate with colleagues and external partners.
- Generate and new ideas and projects that will attract collaboration with industry partners.
- Take the lead in developing original and significant concepts and design approaches as well as support other researchers pursuing concept and device breakthroughs.
- Participate in proposal writing for new projects.
- Publish in relevant scientific journals, attend and present at top conferences, and patent new innovations
- Develop software to control imaging systems to acquire and process data from the systems
What we do for you
You will grow professionally and academically and will have the opportunity to expand your network with US government labs and academia, as well as with international industry partners. You will collaborate with a group of top researchers and have access to state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and tools. You will work in an environment where ideas and their implementation are expected, supported, enabled and allowed to grow.
Imec is a not for profit organization that offers a supportive and collaborative environment with a perfect blend of academic and industry research and development culture. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. We offer competitive compensation packages and robust benefits including medical, dental and vision and 401k with employer match to reward your drive and commitment.
Who you are
- Have a PhD in engineering, optics, physics, or other relevant field, or a Master’s degree plus 5 years of directly relevant experience in a research environment
- Have at least 3 years of experience in imaging systems, ideally in both passive and active imaging systems
- Have signal processing, signal analysis, data analysis, image analysis experience
- Have experience modeling, building, and testing imaging systems
- Have knowledge of imaging across several wavelengths
- Have knowledge of phenomenology, spectral behavior, polarization behavior, scattering, propagation, properties of materials
- Have knowledge of optical design and associated parameters
- Have hands on experience with software programming tools, for example, programming GUIs, C/C++, CUDA programming, MATLAB, and/or Python
- Have been exposed electronics including simulation, schematic capture, and PCB design
- Have been exposed to developing and working with development boards / FPGA/ Microprocessor
- Can work independently and produce quality results
- Have experience building a product /prototype from vague customer requirements
- Capable of acting as a technical liaison with customers and vendors
- Have experience communicating requirements to other parties –internal and external stakeholders (team members, contractors, other departments, etc.)
- Have experience generating or contributing to quotes, statements of work, and proposals
- Have relevant publications in the field
- Can work independently yet in close collaboration with experts from other technical fields
- Have excellent reporting skills and are able to present technical results and choices clearly and concisely
- Can easily integrate in an international team working across time zones and cultures
- Must be a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident