Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 97 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Sensor Researcher to join our IoT team at High Tech Campus in Eindhoven.
What you will do
As a Sensor Researcher your focus will be on the research, development, characterization and deployment of new (chemical) fluidic sensor technologies that are disruptive, either in size, power consumption or selectivity. New sensor technologies are one of the key enablers to realize the full potential of IoT. Early deployments for several use cases will test the sensors against real-life requirements at an early stage and as such speed-up the sensor development time. In this position you will:
- Perform research on new sensor concepts, from literature study to early Proof-of-Concept towards hands-on prototyping.
- Characterization of chemical sensor prototypes (sensitivity, range, detection limit, stability and lifetime).
- Reporting the scientific results internally and towards customers.
- Design new test and calibration protocols according to norms and standards.
- Real-life validation of the prototypes, both indoor and outdoor under various circumstances.
- Provide feedback on test results in order to optimize and improve the design and/or manufacturing process of the sensors.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of technologies and products in the area of water sensor applications, and benchmark new sensor development.
- Provide input for new research topics and contribute to Imec’s roadmap.
- Translate new insights into patent applications and publications at peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment at the forefront of
technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This
is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an
impact on tomorrow’s society.
Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities.
By joining the IoT team in Eindhoven, you will be part of a team of disruptive innovators and thinkers. Together, with our Researchers and Engineers, you will work on systems that combine local data with info from the cloud and other sensor networks to create a holistic picture of the world and enable an Intuitive IoT. We drive the Internet of Things by developing innovative solutions for massive, heterogeneous sensor networks to connect billions of devices together. Imec is a reference in the design of ultra-low-power electronics, low-power algorithms to increase intelligence and data security, and in all aspects of data science.
Who you are
- MSc degree or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry or similar.
- 3 to 10 years of proven experience as a researcher with a track record on performing state of the art research.
- In-depth knowledge about water quality assessment techniques and/or common (electrochemical) characterization techniques (e.g. impedimetric, potentiostatic and galvanostatic).
- Proven can-do attitude, coming up with practical working solutions is a must.
- Entrepreneurial, self-starting and team-player are attributes which define yourself.
- Structured way of working and experience with designing, execution and planning of experiments and the analysis of large datasets.
- Knowledge of statistical tools and methods for analysing results.
- Your communication skills in English (written and spoken) are excellent.