Silicon Photonics Design Engineer
What you will do
Silicon photonics is a field that is maturing and attracting strong interest from industry and academia to realize miniaturized photonic systems for applications in datacommunication, telecommunication and sensing, as well as in other emerging fields. However, currently many parties interested in the technology lack the know-how to design the photonic integrated circuits. This prevents the rapid uptake of the technology by industry and the demonstration of new functionalities when collaborating with other academic groups. To overcome this problem, we are looking for a senior (post-doc level) silicon photonics design engineer with a strong track record in the design of silicon photonic integrated circuits, both passive waveguide circuits (Si and SiN waveguide platforms) as well as active, high-speed waveguide circuits.You will be working together with industrial and academic partners to define their needs for photonic integrated circuit technology. You are able to discuss with partners in a broad range of applications, ranging from optical sensing to high-speed optical interconnects. You will design the required photonic integrated circuits in the imec silicon photonics platforms, including passive silicon waveguide circuits, passive SiN waveguide circuits and imec iSIPP50G full platform. You have a good understanding of both low-speed and high-speed electronic ICs with which these photonic integrated circuits will be interfacing. This knowledge will be crucial in properly designing the electrical interface between these circuits.You will be working together with industrial and academic partners to realize prototype demonstrators based on the photonic integrated circuits that you designed, possibly comprising the co-integration of electronic ICs (either commercially available or provided by the partner), e.g. by interacting with the photonics packaging pilot line PIXAPP, You are involved in the characterization of the photonic integrated circuits / prototype demonstrators, together with the industrial and academic partners.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in integrated optics, preferably in Silicon Photonics.
- You have a strong track record in the design of passive and active photonic integrated circuits, preferably realized on the imec photonic integration platforms.
- You have a broad view on photonic applications, the advantages that photonic integration can bring for these applications and well as the challenges that need to be overcome.
- You have a good understanding of electronic ICs (both low-speed and high-speed) as many practical demonstrators require a co-integration of both EICs and PICs.
- You have a good understanding of packaging technologies, in order to effectively communicate with e.g. the photonics packaging pilot line PIXAPP.
- You possess strong verbal and written English communication skills allowing you to effectively communicate with industrial and academic partners, also those that are not experts in photonics and photonic integrated circuits.
What we do for you
We offer an extendable position of 1 year in the Photonics Research Group, imec’s associated lab at Ghent University.With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.