Student project: Developing a miniaturized electronic tongue
What you will do
The amount and mixture of nutrients in the water fed to plants have a big impact on their growth, especially ions like phosphates,
potassium and nitrates. At Holst Centre/imec the Netherlands, we are developing a miniaturized electronic tongue, based on a potentiometric system combined with a miniaturized conductivity sensor to quantify nutrients. The detection is based on potentiometry, in which the potential difference between a reference electrode and an array of different working electrodes is determined. The unique combination of potential differences and the measured conductivity combined with a smart algorithm will tell us which ions in which concentrations are present in the unknown solutions.
- Literature search for the potentiometric detection of phosphates and nitrates.
- Test new electrodes in the lab.
- Integrate the new electrodes with the current e-tongue.
- You are a Bsc or MSc student in Chemical Engineering.
- Available for a minimum of 6 months.
- You are interested in lab work.
- Pro-active and self-starting.
- Quick learner, that is able and interested to acquire new skills and competences.
- Good communication skill in English (written and spoken).
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.