System architect for real time video holography
What you will do
The Wave-Based Sensing and Actuation department is exploring, developing and optimizing advanced optical beam forming strategies in wavelength ranging from THz through NIR and visible to UV. These systems result in ultra large arrays of nano-photonic antennas used to steer, focus or in general shape light for various applications. In the case of video holography projection in the visible, billions of antennas must be addressed in phase and/or in amplitude at 100-200 Hz within sub-wavelength pitches.
The goal of this research is to develop novel drive architectures and overall optical but also electro-thermal system models for these light projection devices enabling addressing these large sets of antennas in a power-efficient and time-efficient manner. The extremely challenging specifications on optical quality and rendition will be of paramount importance.
Within this context, imec is looking for a System architect for next generation truly holographic 3D video projection, working on monolithic integrated video hologram generation.
You will be responsible for:
- Development and maintenance of optical system model, from scene data to scene rendition, taking into account performance of novel technologies in development
- Development of lab demos for optical hologram performance
- Exploring novel system architecture in collaboration with multi-physics designers, ASIC architect and designers, integration engineers and algorithm developers
- Maintain awareness of recent developments in the field of multi-domain and multi-physics complex system simulations and simulator frameworks
- Generate and secure IP
- Keeping up-to-date on all recent developments in the field. You do this by studying literature, interacting with your colleagues. Also, you will have access to the other imec development work in the field of memory and optical beam forming.
What we do for you
We will train you at the start of your job. We teach you how to work with the advanced systems and equipment available at imec.
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of an interdisciplinary team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary.
Who you are
- You have a PhD or several years of experience in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or imaging.
- You have experience in optical design and characterization
- We value experience with
- ASIC design, FPGA programming, 3D imaging
- Fundamental research in plasmonics and meta-surfaces
- Analytic methods for complex optics system simulations
- We need your analytic skills and experience with mathematical packages for processing complex datasets (such as Matlab).
- We think it is important that you can work in a structured, transparent and accurate way.
- We appreciate your constructive way of working in a team and sharing of experience and knowledge with colleagues.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.