Transmission Electron Microscopy Expert
What you will do
In the Material and Components Analysis (MCA) Department at imec, we apply a variety of structural, chemical, topography and electronic measurement methods to support the needs of imec’s pilot fabrication facilities for advanced semiconductor device development. One of the teams within the MCA department is devoted to TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy) inclusive of TEM sample preparation. The work is done in close collaboration with the TEM group in Fab Operations where inline automated full wafer capable TEM preparation tools are used. The focus for the Lab TEM team is on unique one-off samples and in-depth analysis with various TEM enabled analysis capabilities included but not limited to HR-TEM, EDX/EELS, strain measurement, and tomography.
As TEM expert, you are responsible for research and application aspects in a lab setting of TEM and FIB tools serving the internal imec logic, memory and future CMOS and post CMOS programs. The focus is on applying your expertise to optimizing volume and quality for supporting the fab’s needs while maintaining a research activity to stay relevant for future developments in materials characterization based on the TEM instrumentation
As TEM expert you will have the following key responsibilities:
- You are responsible for reviewing of TEM service customers reports for completeness, accuracy and relevancy depending on the internal customer’s need
- You generate original contributions to research programs, publications and patents in the wider field of TEM applications research relevant for the semiconductor technology
- You interact with the other MCA teams’ researchers to discover synergies within existing analysis techniques, and potential future directions
- You maintain regular contacts with application research individuals and groups in industry and with suppliers of TEM/FIB equipment
- You will develop guidance procedures and training documents to streamline the working with the TEM lab flow, and will work hands-on with sample preparation, imaging, beam alignments and preventive maintenance works on the TEM instrumentation
- You are responsible for presenting TEM results in internal meetings and external conferences
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- We value your PhD degree in materials science/chemistry/physics/electronics with demonstrated experience in an industrial semiconductor fab environment, ideally in a fab-group that supported materials or failure analysis
- You have at least 5 years’ hands-on experience in the area of transmission electron microscopy, preferable for semiconductor related specimens and on FEI, JEOL and / or Hitachi FIB and TEM systems. Hands-on experience with focused ion beam is a plus.
- We are looking for your extensive knowledge of structural materials analysis, crystallography and quantitative elemental analysis TEM.STEM applications. Exposure to TEM tomography, holography is considered a plus.
- You have a demonstrated publication and innovation record inclusive of patents
- You have a natural writing and communication skills and are a fluent presenter and mentor-trainer for less experienced colleagues
- You are prepared to work in a shift system- early-late and 1 weekend in 3 to support the workflow in a 24/7 manner