While classical optical fiber communication is well established and highly deployed within our internet backbone, other novel applications are emerging and require customized photonic technology and modified circuitry design:
- Autonomous vehicles need long-range and high-resolution sensing mechanism for safe driving.
- Microwave photonics which cover 5G networks and high-resolution radars require high and flexible bandwidths with directional communication links.
- Free-space optical communication is demanding for high-data-rate and secure communication for both satellite and ground remote links.
- The medical domain moves towards more accurate diagnostic and scanning tools.
Emerging applications that promise volume production and low-cost devices are getting enormous attention by application companies as well as end users. These applications could make use of optical beamforming network to steer, shape and focus light non-mechanically.
See the presentation
In the presentation, we cover:
- How imec's industrial-grade integrated photonic platforms (Si/SiN) support on-chip optical beamformers.
- What are the key building blocks for compact and low-cost solid-state lidar systems.
- How imec can help you with the full development of your lidar engine: from design to manufacturing and characterization.