While classical optical fiber communication is well established and highly deployed within our internet backbone, other novel applications are emerging and require customized photonic technology and modified circuitry design:
- Autonomous vehicles need long-range and high-resolution sensing mechanism for safe driving
- Microwave photonic which covers 5G network and also high-resolution radars require high and flexible bandwidth with directional communication link
- Free space optical communication is demanding for high data-rate and secure communication for both satellite and ground remote links
- The medical domain, where we are moving toward more accurate diagnostic and scanning tools
Emerging applications that promise volume production and low-cost devices are getting enormous attention by application companies as well as end-users. These applications potentially could make use of optical beamforming network to steer, shape and focus light non-mechanically.
See the presentation
In the presentation, we cover:
- how imec's industrial-grade integrated photonic platforms (Si/SiN) support on-chip optical beamformers.
- the key building blocks for compact and low-cost solid-state lidar systems
- how imec can help you with the full development of your lidar engine: from design to manufacturing and characterization