The value of chip technology for life sciences
Research and new discoveries in life sciences and biotech have been advancing rapidly, offering solutions with the potential to shape the future of healthcare. Numerous start-ups and existing companies are exploring new methodologies and are poised to play a crucial role in the future.
These new methods pose increasing demands on instrumentation. They require extremely high sensitivity (down to the level of single-molecule interaction to analyze DNA and gene expression), single-cell manipulation, massive parallelization, miniaturization, and more complex implantable devices.
Silicon chip technology will bring value to your products through:
- miniaturization and reduced complexity of optics, fluidics and electronics
- integration of complete workflows, resulting in simplified assay testing, reduced human error and improved compliance
- unparalleled precision and reproducibility
- excellent optical, thermal and chemical material properties
- standard, widely available CMOS-based chip manufacturing toolsets, enabling a mature supply chain
- massive parallelization, allowing extreme speed and accuracy
- microfluidics integration, resulting in small sample volumes, reduced reagent costs and higher analysis speeds
- nanotechnology capabilities enabling molecular interaction
- competitive prices in high-volume manufacturing, enabling disposable solutions
Why imec for life science technologies?
Imec leverages its expertise in chip design and technology to develop innovative tools for life sciences, pharma R&D, clinical diagnostics, therapeutics and surgery, biopharma production and analytical biochemistry industries.
- extensive chip processing facilities, including a 200-mm and 300-mm cleanroom
- a state-of-the-art bio-lab infrastructure for surface and bioassay characterization, biosensor set-ups, DNA research, ...
- world-renowned expertise in chip technology, MEMS, bioelectronics, sensors, photonics, imagers, microfluidics, biosciences and high-performance computing
We work with strong, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists. That makes us the ideal development and manufacturing partner for your custom smart biochip solutions, from early R&D, design and prototyping to volume manufacturing.
We help you to bring your innovative product ideas to life.
Work with us
Today, imec is the world’s number one player in world-class product-minded R&D, prototyping and production of silicon and nanotechnology for life sciences and healthcare. We work with world-class companies, from ambitious start-ups to established industry leaders, who strive to bring new technologies to healthcare and life sciences.
- Contract R&D from early concept all the way to a qualified product.
- Prototyping and manufacturing
Strategic Research Initiatives:
- Exascience life lab focuses on providing software solutions for data-intensive and high-performance computing problems, primarily in life sciences.
- Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders (NERF) is a collaborative academic research initiative launched by imec, VIB and KU Leuven that combines molecular, cellular and viral biology, genetics, microscopy, electrophysiology and behavioral studies, with the ultimate goal of gaining a thorough understanding of brain functionality.
- Mission Lucidity combines the biomedical, clinical and technological expertise of its founding partners - KU Leuven, UZ Leuven, VIB and imec – to accelerate medical discovery towards a future without dementia.
- Yesse Technologies is developing a technology platform that harnesses the biology of the real nose and merges it with imec’s nanotechnology to build the first ever true nose-on-a-chip.
- miDIAGNOSTICS, a unique life sciences venture set-up by imec and Johns Hopkins University, builds the lab test of the future: a silicon-based nanofluidic processor embedded in a low-cost test card.
- Indigo develops the next-generation Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) systems that eliminate the need to wear anything on the body.
- bioSensource aims to revolutionize drug discovery through electronics-based measurement devices and data analysis software.
- Trinean (acquired by Unchained Labs) developed a system that can measure up to 96 high concentration protein samples in 5 minutes.
- Epilog brings advanced EEG diagnostic technology to clinical practice – as a service.
- Spectricity develops low-cost, miniaturized, integrated optical spectral sensing solutions for biomedical and health applications, agriculture, food analysis, and consumer markets.
- Pulsify Medical, a joint imec and KU Leuven spin-off, focuses on the development of wearable ultrasound patches.
|Imec is an ANSYS academic program partner.|
How can we help you?
Some examples of what we have done
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.Join the forward thinkers
Design of Broadband Photonic Integrated Components for Optical Coherence Tomography
High performance photonic integrated circuits for imaging
Hydrophilic UV curable resins for 3D printing
Shape the future through 3D printing
Detecting Protein Translocations on SiN Nanopores
Enable reliable detection of rapid (1us) protein translocation events on high-bandwidth SiN nanopores