We have more than 30 years of experience in the development of world-class industrial cost-effective silicon solar cells with world–record efficiencies. We also explore novel module integration technologies reducing module assembly complexity and cost. Moreover, we develop the integration of our solar cells into smart photovoltaic modules to further increase energy yield of photovoltaic roof panels.
Since more than 10 years, we specialize in R&D on thin-film photovoltaics for applications such as building integrated photovoltaics (BIPV) and light-weight solutions. We currently focus our research on the development of perovskites solar cells and modules, achieving world-record conversion efficiencies on cell and module level. This research is performed in collaboration with the European R&D cluster Solliance.
It is our prior aim to provide industry relevant solutions. Therefore, we perform our research on large area industry size wafers and with industrial processes. Through close collaboration with leading equipment suppliers, we have set up in-house the most photovoltaics R&D infrastructure including state-of-the-art silicon and thin-film photovoltaics pre-pilot process lines.
Imec's photovoltaics research covers:
Silicon solar cells and modules
Imec’s crystalline silicon solar research aims to increase the energy conversion efficiency and the total energy yield, while at the same time reducing the manufacturing cost.
Thin-film solar cells and modules
Perovkites, CIGS and CZTS thin-film solar cells and modules with high efficiencies and improved life time.
Multi-junction solar stacks
Imec combines silicon solar cells and perovskites to surpass the efficiency potential of silicon solar cells.
How can we help you?
EnergyVille is a collaboration between the Flemish research partners KU Leuven, VITO, imec and UHasselt in the field of sustainable energy and intelligent energy systems. Our researchers provide expertise to industry and public authorities on energy-efficient buildings and intelligent networks for a sustainable urban environment. This includes, for example, smart grids and advanced district heating and cooling.
Combining forces in research into the next generation, thin film solar cells. Solliance was founded with that goal in 2010. The research organisation is a joint venture of ECN, TNO, Holst Centre and imec. Together with the academic partners TU Eindhoven, University of Hasselt, TU Delft and Forschungszentrum Jülich, the research institutes can play a significant role in global research into the solar technology of the future.
Some examples of what we have done
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.Join the forward thinkers
Characterization and Modeling of Ferro and AntiFerro Device
Explore the potential of Ferro and Antiferro devices and materials in post-Moore's systems and circuits
Alternative solder materials for electronic devices working at low/cryogenic temperatures
Which solder will work for the packaging of quantum computers? The goal of this PhD thesis is to select and study the metals that can be used as solder and UBM for packaging and 3D integration of devices for low temperature applications particularly quantum computers.
New Frontiers in Wired, Optical and Wireless Communications
You will be architecting the wired, optical and wireless networks of tomorrow!
Circuit and System Level Exploration of Sequential 3D Technology
Identifying the possibility of imec sequential 3D technology in post-Moore era.More job opportunities
What can we do for you?
- By joining our industrial affiliation program, you can get early access to advanced research results to shorten your time-to-market, while sharing cost and lower risk of precompetitive research through collaboration with other technology leaders across the value chain.
- Via dedicated research projects we can provide you with state of the art technology solutions improving your industrial cell and module performance.
Why work with us?
- Our 30 years’ track record in photovoltaics demonstrates the world record efficiencies for silicon and thin-film solar cells and modules
- Our in-depth technology knowledge is leveraged by our unique multidisciplinary science and design teams covering a broad range of valuable expertise such as material and component analysis, modeling, metrology, reliability, process steps, ...
- We develop industry relevant solutions at wafer scale, combining R&D at both cell and module level
- Our unique infrastructure includes a state-of-the-art pre-pilot silicon photovoltaics process line and the most advanced thin-film photovoltaics R&D infrastructure.