High-Speed Silicon Photonics Modulator Expert
What you will do
Imec is a global pioneer in developing integrated silicon photonics technology through its Optical I/O R&D program targeting short-reach optical communications. This technology is successfully offered via wafer-level prototype fabrication services to customers in telecom, datacom, computing, bio-medical and sensing applications. These activities are growing and require the expansion of our team.
As a High-Speed Silicon Photonics Modulator Expert, you contribute to the further development of our device library. This library includes efficient and high-speed modulators such as silicon travelling wave modulators (Si TWM), silicon ring modulators (Si RM) and germanium-silicon electro-absorption modulators (GeSi EAM) in our silicon photonics platforms. You maintain and improve these broad range of library devices regarding performance (e.g. electro-optic bandwidth and transmitter penalty), compact model and yield. Your devices are shared through PDK’s to users of our platforms all around the world. You act as the technical interface with customers and use their feedback to improve your class of devices to be state-of-the-art. You participate in internal development runs on 200mm and 300mm to implement improved component designs and you leverage imec’s automated SiPho test stations to implement and test your new device concepts with fast turnaround times.
- Design state-of-the-art Si photonics modulators such as Si TWM, Si RM and GeSi EAM in imec silicon photonics platforms, both for 200mm as for 300mm.
- Design and maintain test structures for process control and process improvement.
- Simulate, model, design, layout and characterize your devices with the tools used in the team and contribute to an improved functionality of those python-based tools.
- Own the device characterization using imec’s wafer-scale test infrastructure (test procedure, data analysis and reporting).
- Build compact models to be used by circuit designers (internal and external customers).
- Interact directly with customers.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have an excellent understanding of the physics of integrated photonics devices and knowledge of semiconductor manufacturing process and constraints with at least 2 years of hands-on working experience.
- You are curious and creative. You like to collaborate with colleagues.
- You have demonstrated experience with designing and characterizing high-speed >30GHz electro-optical devices. Simulation (e.g. Ansys HFSS, Agilent ADS) and characterization (S-parameters, TDR, eye diagram & BER measurements) is a plus.
- You have experience and are comfortable programming in Python, and with git.
- You can automate simulations to explore design spaces and evaluate device sensitivity.
- You master your simulation tools (e.g. Lumerical, RSoft, Matlab) and understand the pro and cons of each simulation method.
- You layout your designs using a scripting language (e.g. ipkiss from Luceda Photonics).
- You have good communication skills in English to communicate with your colleagues in our multinational team and with customers.
- You have a Master or PhD degree in Physics or Photonics.
Apply online at www.imec.be/jobs.