Quantum Computing Device Engineer
What you will do
Within imec’s Quantum Program activities, we aspire to integrate and characterize state of the art spin qubit devices using imec’s advanced semiconductor manufacturing facility. We explore different semiconducting materials and stacks, we investigate their long term performance and ultimate limitation, and aim to thereby take quantum computing from the laboratory to real life implementation, leveraging the advanced, industrial level nanofabrication facilities as present in imec’s 300 mm silicon pilot lines.
Your responsibilities include:
- Conception and design of single and multi-qubit arrays spin qubit devices.
- Help develop technological and application driven roadmaps for relevant technology modules, to be developed in close collaboration with the integration and fabrication teams at imec.
- Cryogenic characterization of various qubit performance metrics: spin manipulation and measurement of characteristic lifetimes, characterization of multi-qubit arrays, noise and variability studies, fundamental, physical investigations of performance limiting factors.
- Continuous development and troubleshooting of the measurement setups. Development of high-throughput setups and measurement routines.
- Contribution to and guidance of the integration effort leveraging imec know-how on advanced scaling nodes and semiconductor technologies.
- Regular engagement with imec partners via internal reporting, contribute to bilateral projects.
- Definition of experiments, communication and interpretation of experimental results in a clear and concise way.
- Development of international academic collaborations and research projects.
- Contribution to the scientific output via publications in high impact factor journals.
- Mentoring of PhD/master/internship students.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow. You will join a motivated and hardworking team, that over the past few years has built up knowledge in how to do meaningful quantum experiments in such an environment (1-2), and that will continue to help push the boundaries of qubit performance and upscaling.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You are an experienced Quantum Device engineer with strong publication record.
- You have a PhD degree in physics or Electrical Engineering, preferably in a field related to spin qubit research.
- You have a solid understanding of quantum device physics.
- You have knowledge of and interest in advanced CMOS technology and device physics down to cryogenic temperatures.
- You are able to communicate complex concepts with a didactic and rigorous approach.
- You enjoy working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams.
- You are an individual with strong interpersonal skills, and keen ability to communicate effectively in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Comprehensive 300 mm process for Silicon spin qubits with modular integration
Elsayed et al. 2023 Symposium on VLSI Circuits. IEEE, 2023
- Low charge noise quantum dots with industrial CMOS manufacturing
ElSayed et al arXiv:2212.06464