R&D Engineer Die to Wafer bonding
What you will do
Miniaturization of system size is a driving force in most electronics applications. The continuous scaling of IC’s, and the advent of more compact system integration technologies make this possible. Within its affiliation programs and bilateral initiatives, imec contributes to the state of the art in a significant manner. Thanks to recent advances in 3D integration, wafer-level packaging and MEMS, novel types of components with small form factors and an increased number of functionalities are emerging. These novel components also require new packaging solutions. To support the growing interest in these activities, we are looking for an R&D Engineer for Die to Wafer bonding.
You are member of the Bonding, Transfer and Assembly Group (BTA), which is responsible for developing processes requested by the process integration departments running imec’s CORE and CMORE programs. You work in a team of about ten people with whom you interact daily. You will work in a dynamic multidisciplinary and multicultural environment in close cooperation with Researchers, Scientists, Hardware Engineers, Operations, Equipment Vendors, Industrial Assignees, Device and Process experts.
As a specialist, you will be responsible for developing new die bonding process. For this, you work mainly in the cleanroom and you are supported by experienced technical staff to carry out standard operations. Secondly, you are involved in research activities where Die to wafer bonding is required (3D integrated systems, image sensors, photonics, biomedical devices).
More specifically, you will:
- Define, organize and validate material (polymer, metals) & processes during development.
- Look for specific metrology solutions to characterize these materials.
- Actively contribute to the research programs (e.g. 3D program, imagers & specialty component program) and joint development programs with external partners.
- Work cross-functionally with the integration/process support/hardware teams and industrial partners.
- Report about your work to internal and external partners, and via conference / journal publications.
- Start fundamental research activities on new materials needed for new projects and perform characterization and failure analysis of materials used.
- Monitor industry trends and innovations, applying scientific knowledge and adapting to imec research programs and activities.
- Interface with device engineers and researchers to identify the future needs and trends.
- Coordinate and implement the non-standard work in IMEC’s fab organization together with fab process engineers and the pilot line. This includes coordination of the transfer of developed processes and tools to support and operational teams.
- Start-up of new equipment.
You will be coached on-the-job by senior researchers.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You preferably have a MS in Chemistry, Physics, Material Science or Engineering (or equivalent level through experience).
- 2-3 years of relevant experience within a research or industrial environment is an advantage.
- Foundry or OSAT experience in die-to-wafer bonding and semiconductor materials background including characterization / FA is beneficial.
- Know-how in data analysis and massive data treatment with self-programmed scripts (Matlab, Python...) and in JMP is an asset.
- You will require project management skills and a strong capability to work independently with a focus on quality for your deliverables.
- You will actively participate in cross-functional teams and projects when required, utilizing scientific and engineering skills to enhance the team capability.
- You are an enthusiastic and creative team player with strong networking, communication and reporting skills who likes to work in a multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers and will have frequently interactions with clients.
- You are working autonomously, well-organized, with a good attention to detail and you set high standards in everything you do.
- You are interested in working hands-on in a clean room environment.
- Since your job consists of a variety of activities, depending on the needs of the imec research programs, a flexible attitude towards your tasks is required.
- Given the international character of imec, good knowledge of (spoken and written) English is a must.