What can we do for you?
- As imec is a bridge between the university and the industry you collaborate in advanced research with industrial relevance
- Get access to state-of-the-art research labs and clean rooms
- Become part of imec’s multidisciplinary research teams and have access to expertise that guarantees an unmatched support
- Receive financial aid cover all living expenses, housing, health insurance and registration as a student
- Get supported by professors of (inter)national universities), all of them experts in their domains
Why do a PhD with us?
- Work in an inspiring international environment and use our large international network of expertise
- Enhance competitiveness with our in-depth technology knowledge
- Develop your skills through specialized technical training
- Get in touch with imec’s global international partner companies
We have projects in various expertises and competences.
Click on the titles below to see the projects within your preferred domain.
- CMOS and beyond CMOS
- Silicon photonics
- Thin-film flexible electronics
- 5G and Wireless Internet of Things communication
- Life Sciences
- GaN Power Electronics
- Solid State Batteries
- Sensor solutions for Internet of Things
- Low cost and low power radar sensing systems
- Image Sensors and Vision Systems
- Data Science and Data Security
- System and IC Design
- PhD Materials competence center
- PhD Modeling competence center
- PhD Design competence center
- PhD Metrology & characterization competence center
Imec itself is not giving PhD degrees but acts as a host research institute for PhD and postdoc research in collaboration with 5 Flemish universities: KU Leuven, UGent, VUBrussel, UAntwerpen, UHasselt. Imec has also signed dual degree PhD agreements with Flemish and international universities. Both engineers and scientists can apply because of the multidisciplinary character of our research. PhDs get supported by professors of both national and international universities, all of them experts in their domains.
Imec the Netherlands is also looking for PhD students. If interested, go to https://www.holstcentre.com/careers/phd-opportunities/ to check the opportunities.
Imec is currently also looking for a PhD student on Memory Architecture-Technology Co-Optimisation, in collaboration with Complutense University of Madrid. For more information and application go to https://artecs.dacya.ucm.es/embedded-systems/dual-ucm-imec-phd/
When to apply?
We have two PhD application windows with strict submission deadlines on April 15th and December 15th. During these application windows the imec admission office collects all incoming applications. After closure of the application window, a panel of scientists evaluates the applications and makes selections.
The application window with deadline April 15th, 2018 is closed. We don't accept applications at this moment.
The next application window will open mid October 2018.
A limited number of PhD projects (for iMinds research community, NERF and imec the Netherlands) are open throughout the year and do not follow the timing of the application window.
How to apply?
Some PhD projects (for iMinds research community and NERF) have a different application procedure. Follow the instructions stated in the project description.
STEP 1 : First of all, carefully read the PhD admission requirements below to make sure you qualify for doctoral research at imec.
STEP 2 : Choose maximum three PhD projects from the PhD topics listed above and motivate your choice.
STEP 3 : Download and complete the imec application for admission form. Convert to PDF.
STEP 4 : Download and complete the motivation letter. Convert to PDF.
STEP 5 : Collect all documents listed below:
- Resume (in PDF)
- Bachelor's degree and transcripts
- Master's degree and transcripts - If you have not finished your master program yet, you can submit your degree when you graduate. Do submit your master examination results available at the time of application.
- Proof of your English language proficiency (refer to the PhD Admission Requirements below for details).
- GRE score (refer to the PhD Admission Requirements below for details).
Send all the above documents in separate PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight CET on April 15th, 2018 at the very latest.
We will acknowledge receipt of your application by email. Please take into account that processing your application - especially around the application deadline - may take several days.
What should you pay attention to?
- Do not submit unsolicited documents with your application, e.g. do not submit high school diplomas.
- We do not accept any revised documents or additional information after the application is submitted, so please be sure to review your application form, motivation letter and other documents very carefully before submitting your application.
- If we do not receive all required documents by the application deadline, your application will not enter the screening process.
- The letters of recommendation are confidential and are an essential part of your application. We will not be able to process your application without the evaluation forms.
- If you spent time outside your home country within the context of your education be sure to have your experience abroad evaluated by your host supervisor/employer.
- We recommend that you have legalized copies of your Bachelor's and Master's degrees and transcripts available as you will be required to submit them in case of acceptance to the imec doctoral program.
- As our PhD students are selected based on a centralized application procedure and not by individual supervisors kindly refrain from contacting our professors directly.
PhD admission requirement
Before applying for a PhD at imec, make sure that you are eligible. Read through the PhD admission requirements carefully.
Dual degree PhD opportunities at imec
Imec offers dual degree opportunities for students that want to obtain a PhD degree from two universities.
- Imec has a dual degree agreement with National Chiao Tung University (NCTU) in Hsinchu, Taiwan and KU Leuven. In this dual degree the student should spend minimum 3 years at KU Leuven and minimum 1 year at NCTU. Students who want to obtain such a dual degree from KU Leuven and NCTU please contact email@example.com.
- Imec has a dual degree agreement with National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) in Tainan, Taiwan and KU Leuven. In this dual degree the student should spend minimum 3 years at KU Leuven and minimum 1 year at NCKU. Students who want to obtain such a dual degree from KU Leuven and NCKU please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Imec is offering a dual degree PhD position on Memory Architecture-Technology Co-Optimisation, in collaboration with Universidad Complutense de Madrid and KULeuven. In this dual degree the student will spend most of the time at the university in Madrid. For more information and applications go to https://artecs.dacya.ucm.es/embedded-systems/dual-ucm-imec-phd/