Imec's set of energy technologies stems from our innovations in material and design towards solid-state Li-ion batteries. These are very much desired as they overcome several limitations of today’s wet batteries with liquid electrolytes.
- They are more safe as the flammable liquid is replaced by non-volatile and rigid solid components.
- They potentially last much longer as parasitic side-reactions which limit the life-time of wet batteries are no longer a concern.
- Most notably, the solid-state approach provides the means to increase the energy and power density of the cells so that we can use our devices longer and charge them faster. Lastly, the all solid-state is applicable in multiple form factors from the ultra-small to the very large.
Imec paves the way to solid-state batteries with tunable performance specifically towards large as well as small storage systems. Our novel battery technology is suitable for future electric cars and the smart grid as well as for implants and sensors in the internet of things.
Imec aims at developing solid-state batteries with the following characteristics:
- high energy and power density
- long lifetime
- fast charging
- flexible form factor
Imec develops three battery designs for specific needs:
- powder batteries with embedded nanocomposite electrolyte for large storage applications
- ultra-fast charging 3D thin-film batteries for small electronics where battery size is limited
- nano batteries on foil for flexible electronics
Imec’s innovative solid state battery technology
Ultrafast charging 3D thin-film battery for micro-storage
Find out more about imec’s development of 3D thin-film, ultra-fast charging batteries for microsystems.
Large storage solid-state Li-ion batteries
Explore imec’s innovations in solid state electrolytes for large capacity batteries.
Nano batteries on foil for flexible electronics
Discover imec's development of Nano battery on nanowire scaffolds.
Build on imec’s technology portfolio to boost your process performance for converting energy into molecules.
How can we help you?
EnergyVille is a collaboration between the Flemish research partners KU Leuven, VITO, imec and UHasselt in the field of sustainable energy and intelligent energy systems. Our researchers provide expertise to industry and public authorities on energy-efficient buildings and intelligent networks for a sustainable urban environment. This includes, for example, smart grids and advanced district heating and cooling.
Some examples of what we have done
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.Join the forward thinkers
Fabrication of Lithium metal anodes for rechargeable solid-state batteries
Be part of developments to bring electric vehicle to all
All-solid-state thin-film batteries with flexible form factor
Design new thin batteries for wearables, implants and drones
Non-classical catalysis methodologies for the electrochemical reduction of CO2 to valuable chemicals
Help to develop new technologies for a sustainable economy
Electrochemical-mechanical study of solid-state generation lithium batteries
Improving the lifetime of batteries through combination of modeling and experimentMore job opportunities