The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
What you will do
- You will prepare a PhD thesis with a research topic related to vehicular communications (V2X) using 5G technologies, leveraging software-defined techniques.
- You will validate the research insight in an experimental setting, developing a prototype and implementing it on a V2X testbed with real communication modules (5G, C-V2X, 802.11p)
- You will implement your research ideas within the context of several EU funded research projects and collaborate with world-wide industrial partners
- You will collaborate with other IDLab colleagues across research expertise in the scope of 5G technologies, C-ITS & connected vehicles field, and also from the Network Management field.
- You will assist some educational tasks of the research team, such as supervising Master’s students or proving hands-on laboratories support
Who you are
- You have (or will receive within a few months) a Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or related fields.
- You are able to speak/write in English in scientific and academic settings (equivalent to IELTS 6.5 and above).
- You are knowledgeable in network protocol stack, from physical to application layer.
- You are at ease in developing software applications, knows to code in C, C++, Python, and comfortable with Linux environments.
- You know how to use simulation tools related to V2X communication, such as, NS-3, OMNeT++, Veins, SUMO.
- You must be familiar with software-defined concepts and the different planes of softwarized solutions such as SDR, SDN, NFV.
What sets you apart
- You have experience in radio channel characterization and modeling.
- You have knowledge in RF measurement and wireless propagation.
- You are familiar with ETSI C-ITS protocol stack.
- You have strong interests in investigating network slicing, network virtualization, SDN, NFV, SDR, and other softwarized network technologies.
- You have published in high-ranking conferences and journals.
If you are interested in this position, please apply at: https://jobs.idlab.uantwerpen.be/o/phd-vacancy-in-5g-vehicular-communications
Questions concerning the position can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .